A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
Finance Manager, Internal Reporting – Meadowvale (14-month contract)
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
Reporting to the Assistant Controller, this position will be responsible to ensure accurate and timely month-end close processes and procedures and will be responsible for the review of account reconciliations and journal entries for the Company’s Pork and Poultry operating units (“OU’s”). This role is also responsible for the consolidation and reporting of these operating units and the publication of monthly internal management reports, including financial statements and accompanying management reporting schedules. The ideal candidate possesses skill sets in performing and assessing critical activities, developing finance analysts, and using key performance indicators to manage the efficient delivery of monthly reporting. In addition, the ideal candidate should have the necessary critical thinking skills to challenge the status quo with a continuous improvement mindset for a best-in-class accounting and reporting function. This role will also require ad-hoc tasks as to assist other team members.
A snap shot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
What we have to offer you:
- Evaluate the performance of direct reports, train and develop staff by providing technical advice, recommend external training, positive reinforcement and developmental feedback when necessary to ensure the maintenance of a knowledgeable and effective staff;
- Ensure the accuracy, integrity and timeliness of all financial reporting and ensure management is aware of relevant trends and issues;
- Charged with critically reviewing the department and implementing best practice and introducing continuous improvement;
- Ensure sustainable processes and procedures are in place to support an environment of rapid growth and increased volume;
- Maintain a stimulating work environment to motivate staff performance and facilitate employee learning & development;
- Responsible for regular review of balance sheet reconciliations and journal entries;
- Review and oversee the preparation of monthly management control reports;
- Responsible for overseeing the compilation of the monthly forecasts for the relevant operating units;
- Oversee the annual budget process with focus on budgeting for balance sheet components and completion of the complete budget management control report for responsible OUs;
- Ensure that all the month-end activities are performed on-time for hand off to external consolidation and reporting team;
- Act as liaison with internal and external auditors, coordinating reviews and managing deliverables;
- Prepare tax reporting packages to assist the Tax team in the preparation of year end provisions and annual tax filings;
- Manage the monthly timelines for the completion of the financial close process, working cross-functionally with other teams within Maple Leaf including Tax, Treasury, and the Consolidations team;
- Supervise a staff of 3 including 2 Senior Financial Analysts and 1 Finance Analysts providing guidance on day-to-day issues and reviewing work completed. Review and approve bi-annual performance reviews and coach staff on career development;
- Oversee the operating effectiveness and self-test of internal controls within the team, identifying any weaknesses and making process improvements as necessary; and
- Other ad hoc accounting and reporting tasks as required.
What you will bring:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance;
- CPA designation;
- 5+ years of working experience in Accounting & Finance;
- Strong knowledge of IFRS;
- Experience supervising staff; and
- Experience with public company reporting is an asset.
- In depth knowledge of Excel;
- Self-starter with an ability to work independently with minimal supervision;
- Attention to detail;
- Action oriented with excellent time management skills;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills;
- Excellent problem-solving abilities;
- Ability to work within tight deadlines; and
- Experience with SAP (or similar ERP system) and/or Business Planning and Consolidation (BPC) is an asset.
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at email@example.com. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.