A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
Sr. Packaging Engineering Specialist – Meadowvale
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
As a key member of the Packaging Technology team, the Sr. Packaging Engineering Specialist will focus on managing various commercial development packaging projects as well as Innovation for Maple Leaf Foods. Utilizing strong leadership skills, deep expertise in packaging technology and a passion for innovative packaging, the Sr. Packaging Engineering Specialist is responsible for packaging design and development execution with a global technology advancement.
Sr. Packaging Engineering Specialist will translate consumer insights into original, creative and enticing packaging concepts that delight consumers and fulfill customer requirements. Developing and commercializing functional structural packaging with associated material specifications through to launch. Leveraging design and innovation to create novel solutions that differentiate and act as barrier to entry for competitors via intellectual property rights and providing input and advice towards business model proposals.
The capability to support cross-functional project teams in identifying and implementing innovative packaging designs and processes as well as the ability to leverage strategic partnerships to identify new spaces for exploration will be critical to success.
A snap shot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
What we have to offer you:
- Develop packaging specifications for new packaging formats.
- Lead and conduct packaging integrity trials/research at plants to validate product life cycle including storage/handling/distribution for new launches.
- Support national marketing initiatives involving innovative packaging from conception to commercialization.
- Bring new ideas to Maple Leaf Foods and drive packaging innovation.
- Work on cross-functional teams in all stages of ideation, development and execution of packaging projects.
- Strong project managements skills; identify and manage risk at all levels under tight timelines.
- Provide enhanced technical expertise to new initiatives to further support our growth agenda.
- Partner and build relationships with incumbent and new packaging suppliers to create and bring new product & packaging concepts to the business.
- Support the ongoing process to reduce overall packaging and support sustainability, including the regional “Blue Box” programs.
- Responsible for proactively driving Front of Funnel innovation development efforts, creating a holistic approach to packaging design that connects to our consumer and enables competitive advantage.
- Maintain knowledge of current packaging innovation and latest technology globally.
- Manage new product/project activity by plant/brand.
- Ideation and oversight of design and development of new products through the packaging development process.
- Plan innovation projects to integrate the newest technologies in both package performance and consumer led innovation.
- Identify and demonstrate proof of principle of innovative packaging and packaging equipment. Gather and translate insights into potential strategic packaging opportunities.
- Leverage insights to determine occasion based packaging needs and develop functional attributes enhance consumer experience.
- Leverage external network to support Open Innovation in technology scouting for novel applications and opportunities. Identify strategic packaging technology suppliers, ensure partnerships are developed and supplier innovation activities are aligned with company innovation needs.
- Drive innovation by presenting new packaging concepts and technologies to support Marketing, Product Development and processing ideas. Partner with Marketing to deliver on Innovation & Renovation objectives.
- Develops, tests, reviews and recommends proposals for packaging/equipment designs by translating needs of business into work plans, anticipating risks and incorporating mitigation strategies, and developing succinct communications for senior leaders.
- Work with Procurement, Brand, and Site Operations to ensure the accurate and timely development of all packaging standards, specifications and procedures.
- Ensure the accurate and timely publication, communication and retention of all documentation related to packaging specifications and procedures through our SAP Systems.
- During development with our partners and stakeholders, ensure that packaging components meet or exceed our quality and efficiency standards.
- Working with Quality troubleshoot and make sound technical recommendations for existing quality issues.
- Lead value engineering initiatives for Packaging at specific sites.
- Ensure all new suppliers meet qualification standards established by Operations.
- Work with packaging suppliers, provide technical assistance and knowledge during implementation of packaging components based on our quality and efficiency standards.
- Aid in design and development of new-to-world equipment architectures for new products using creative technical solutions for materials and novel manufacturing techniques (with Engineering team). Provide technical analyses, develop alternatives (cost estimates, feasibility, specifications and interpretation of requirements).
- Ensure all projects are completed on time and meet the intended packaging design, quality, cost, functionality, reliability and manufacturability objectives.
What you will bring:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
- Degree in Engineering (Packaging or Chemical)
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in Food Packaging or any consumer goods Packaging Development Technology.
- Strong understanding of packaging components, supplier processes, manufacturing processes, and Engineering Change Order (ECO) principals.
- Able to identify and analyze problems, recommending and implementing flexible and creative solutions based on customer need.
- Strong demonstrated team leadership skills, focusing on creating and embracing change Mastery of SAP, CAPE, Microsoft office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint & MS Project), and understanding of Database concepts.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively organize and manage multiple tasks as projects, ensuring completion to meet deadlines.
- Excellent written communications skills, with the ability to document system procedures in an understandable format.
- Robust communication and influencing skills
- Proven people and project management skills. Demonstrated leadership in establishing great functional rapport with Marketing, Product Development, Purchasing, Engineering and Manufacturing teams.
- Possess excellent technical competence in food packaging systems with comprehensive knowledge of packaging materials (primary, secondary and tertiary), high speed packaging systems, food process engineering, continuous improvement tools and best management practices in automated manufacturing environment.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver results by working autonomously with minimal supervision.
- Proven ability to bring new, unsolicited innovative ideas forward.
- Skillful at effectively leveraging internal and external resources to drive projects, develop sustainable packaging and ensure flawless execution for the organization.
- Proficient in SAP environment, CAPE & Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint & MS Project).
- Ability and willingness to travel 25% of the time.
- Valid driver’s license and a car available
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at email@example.com. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.