A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Six core values guide us in everything that we do.
Product Developer – Lagimodiere (Winnipeg)
- Do what’s right
- Deliver winning results
- Build collaborative teams
- Get things done in a fact-based, disciplined way
- Learn and grow, inwardly and outwardly
- Dare to be transparent, passionate and humble
The position of Product Developer will appeal to individuals who enjoy the challenge of participating in the creation and execution of new and improved products. The individual will need to be self-motivated, team oriented, enjoy a fast-paced environment, dogged in their pursuit of the end goal and capable of bringing creative approaches to the resolution of the broad array of challenges with which they will be confronted. He or she must also enjoy the 'hands-on' nature of the job that will require involvement in both pilot and plant activities. A passion for food science and technology with an ability to use Science and Technology to problem solving will be important.
A snap shot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
What we have to offer you:
- Co-ordinates product development through all stages of development; concept to bench-top prototype development, pilot plant and full-scale manufacture in support of new products and /or product renovations
- Conduct assessment of problematic product issues and work as part of a team to resolve the technical problems.
- Develops product costs and Bills of Materials
- Participates in cross functional teams responsible for projects
- Reviews and documents raw ingredients, formulations and final product specifications for the purpose of maintaining accurate records and to ensure compliance with Regulations and Company standards
- Ensures Regulatory compliance of products by interfacing with Regulatory Affairs
- Consults and provides direction to internal customers (i.e. Purchasing/Marketing/Manufacturing/Quality Assurance) by communicating information for product improvements and/or cost savings initiatives
- Participates in product sensory trials using internal and external panels
- Develops Standard Operating Procedures for products within their responsibility
- Independently develops project work plans in order to execute projects efficiently
- Consults technical resources (literature, technical papers, academia) to further product knowledge and apply the learning to execute projects.
- Conducts competitive reviews to assist in identifying opportunities
- Assists with identification and development of ideas for technology improvements / cost savings
- Prepares and present technical reports/results, both written and oral, to associates, peers and management
- Maintains current knowledge by reading and disseminating relevant information from academic and trade literature
- Interfaces with and leverages the supplier and academic community to achieve project goals
- Maintains project files to ensure collection and transfer of learning and knowledge as well as eligibility for Income tax Credits
- Maintains confidentiality of projects, data and other matters relating to MLF business
What you will bring:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
- B.Sc. or College Diploma in Food Science or a related Science discipline preferred but not a must
- Food manufacturing experience or product development experience preferred
- Minimum 2-3 years’ experience in Product Development, Operations or Quality Control, preferably in red meat or poultry
- Functionally competent in MS Office programs
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Must have strong people management skills
- Must enjoy and thrive in a fast paced environment
- Flexibility of schedule – schedule may require various start times due to plant trials and start ups
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at firstname.lastname@example.org. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.