A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Sr. Tax Analyst
- Six core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do what’s right
- Deliver winning results
- Build collaborative teams
- Get things done in a fact-based, disciplined way
- Learn and grow, inwardly and outwardly
- Dare to be transparent, passionate and humble
Reporting to the Manager Taxes, the Senior Tax Analyst works closely with other members of the Tax Team, the External Financial Reporting team and Maple Leaf’s Operating Unit (“OU”) accounting personnel to assist in income tax reporting and compliance for MLF. In addition, the position will assist in all areas of income tax accounting including the forecast and budget preparation process, as well as tax-related special projects as they arise.
A snap shot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
What we have to offer you:
- Assist with accounting for income taxes in quarterly and annual tax provisions.
- Preparation and updating of models to forecast cash income taxes
- Preparation of Canadian corporate tax returns and other tax filings.
- Preparation of all working papers to support income tax returns filings.
- Liaise with accounting and other personnel to obtain and analyze information required.
- Oversee reconciliations of tax instalments to statements of accounts provided by tax authorities.
- Assist VP Taxation with income tax audits, including analytical support, collection of information, preparation of responses and dealing directly with auditors.
- Preparation of quarterly proofs of income tax accounts.
- Reconciliation and adjustment of income tax provisions to filings and assessments.
- Ongoing monitoring of the preparation of accounting schedules by Finance staff for use by the Tax Department.
- Assist with special projects, including technical research, as required.
What you will bring:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
- 2 to 4 years of corporate income tax experience in a public company or public accounting environment (completion of Parts 1 and 2 of the CICA In-depth Tax Course is considered an asset)
- Accounting designation - CPA, CA preferred
- Knowledge of IFRS accounting principles for income taxes
- Strong accounting skills (including consolidations and foreign currency accounting)
- Ability to communicate complex information clearly and concisely
- Ablity to work comfortably with levels of management.
- Ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks at a given time and to work in a fast paced, deadline-oriented environment.
- Advanced PC proficiency (strong MS Excel skills and Corporate Tax Prep are a must)
- Experience with SAP would be an asset.
- A well-organized, self–starter, who pays close attention to detail.
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at firstname.lastname@example.org. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.