Considering a Career at Maple Leaf Foods?
Maple Leaf Foods is Canada’s leading consumer-packaged protein company, headquartered in
Toronto, Ontario. We make high-quality, great tasting, nutritious and innovative food products under leading brands including Maple Leaf®, Maple Leaf Prime®, Maple Leaf Natural Selections®, Schneiders®, Schneiders Country Naturals® and Mina™. Our Company employs approximately 11,000 people in its operations across Canada and exports to more than 20 global markets including the U.S. and Asia.
Our people are passionate about the work they do and the products we make. As we move forward, we are determined to leverage their integrity and passion to continue to build a high-performing, values-based company enabled by high-performing, motivated and talented people.
This position requires the successful individual to play a key leadership role through the planning and delegation of duties and assistance with troubleshooting and resolution of departmental problems and issues. The incumbent will act as a liaison to the Production Supervisors and Production & Maintenance Manager. This role will be a working Lead Hand and will be responsible for daily Production duties.
- Be able to work with minimal supervision using strong communication skills.
- Verify the People Power report is correct and make any modifications required due to call-ins.
- Monitor the lines once running to ensure that Service Operators are keeping the bins filled with product. Move people on the line as required to ensure proper coverage and assist on the line if needed. Respecting any restrictions or modified duties.
- During changeovers ensure that bins are being cleaned and that required equipment is ready for use (i.e. funnels, scoops, etc.). Verify correct products and packaging are on the line; assign employees to opening rejects, spraying/wiping down work station tables with sanitizer
- Know how to set up and verify the Loma Checkweigher, Metal Detector and Imaje Dater
- Verify that the line speeds, meat / cheese weights are all correct at the start of running any production. Oversee that any weight/thickness changes are made as needed and slice counts are correct, and verify after any repair/downtime or changeover.
- Ensure that the line/equipment is cleaned after repair or downtime as needed
- Investigate line downtime; if able troubleshoot/repair equipment, if not call appropriate personnel to assist.
- Maintain a visible presence in the production room and continuously audit employees for PPE and GMP’s as well as safe work practices. Re-instruct employees when required to do so or notify Supervisor
- At the end of the daily production run ensure all lines have the equipment shutdown and covered if required, and that the lines are cleaned up ready for sanitation.
- If Supervisors are not available, obtain hourly case counts and weights.
- Interact with Supervisors to keep them informed of issues, and perform other duties as assigned.
- Inform Supervisors regarding any quality issues; save samples for QA or for product hold (broken seals, finished product) and follow through with direction or change as instructed
- Notify Supervisor of excessive rejects and take appropriate action
- Demonstrated ability to wear proper PPE and comply with safety requirements including ensuring power is shut down on equipment prior to specified tasks (Lockout / Tagout may also be applicable by qualified persons only)
- Frequent twisting, bending, pulling, standing and heavy lifting are required
- Safe use and handling of a knife
- Basic First Aid Knowledge
- Thorough, accurate, and neat completion of forms (when required) for HACCP & Quality Assurance (including lot control for traceability, production reporting)
- Visual quality checks of product against customer and internal specifications (Including foreign materials, weight checks, gas and program settings)
- Ability to maintain cleanliness of areas of responsibility (performs applicable sanitation when required)
- Adhere to individual Product Standard Operating Procedures for components and packaging materials
- Food Safety knowledge according to level of responsibility.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE & COMPETENCY REQUIREMENTS:
- Ability to read, write and communicate in English
- Be able to work with minimal supervision
- Walkie Certification (minimum)
- Basic knowledge of Multivac, Slicer, Prep Room, Palletizer, Case Packer, Imaje and Loma
- Excellent problem solving skills and abilities and Leadership capabilities
- Computer literate – SAP experience an asset
- Ability to record and document information
- Ability to effectively communicate and interact with employees at all levels (Team members, Supervisors, Management)
- In consultation with the Production Supervisors, the incumbent will identify continuous and process improvement opportunities and will implement and track the improvements.
- Be able to work in a cold working environment, and with ready to eat meat products, including pork
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at firstname.lastname@example.org
. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.