Maple Leaf Foods is embarking on one of the most exciting journeys in its history through the build and startup of a world-class, leading edge manufacturing facility producing premium, value added fresh poultry products. The new 640,000 square foot facility will call London, ON home and will employ over 1,600 employees as we ramp up operations over the next few years.
We are looking for equally enthusiastic people who want to join our team as we start to climb our own version of Everest. As with every great feat, the realities of this opportunity may come with some challenges and we are looking for people who have the commitment to working through these together. We believe that participation in this start-up requires great passion for our objectives, the flexibility to adapt to the needs of the environment, and a resilient spirit rooted in the desire to achieve winning results as a team. Together we believe we will do great things for our people, our consumers, and our communities.
If you think that this opportunity might be for you, we encourage you to read more details about this exciting role below.
Reporting to the MRO supervisor the MRO buyer maintains the proper inventory of spare parts by timely purchasing, tracking order status and preparing reports. They consider these business parameters, the tools available and how best to support The Maintenance department.
The MRO Buyer is detail oriented, has strong analytical and interpersonal skills. The buyer manages the procurement activities for the company to maintain its operations. The Buyer has experience with ERP programs. SRM, SAP Material Master and Ariba experience. The Buyer is familiar with warehouse management, maintaining excel files and applying Standard Operating Procedures in their work. The Buyer follows company policies, standards and guidelines as they apply to all activities. The Buyer is a key contributor to the continuous improvements of critical plant performance metrics in the areas of maintenance, productions, and finance.
Snapshot of a Day-in-the-Life:
- Consistent with our leadership values, act as a champion for our culture by participating in the development and execution of a positive and productive environment focused on the needs of our people.
- Responsible for the preparation and issuance of purchase orders through SRM for stock and non- stock materials used to maintain plant equipment. Inventory and consumables.
- Preparation and issuance of purchase orders for services.
- Implements purchasing procedures and processes to ensure the plant receives the right materials in the right quantity at the right time
- Responsible for daily replenishment of spare parts through SRM.
- Engage in cost effective solutions/analyses.
- Receive price quotes from vendors, compare quotes against requirements.
- Communicate with vendors on pricing, lead time and product.
- Work with with Planner to ensure all required parts are available prior to the work being scheduled
- Coordinate with warehouse staff to resolve shortfalls in Inventory Levels.
- Apply the Materials Management process in support planned maintenance operations.
- Process parts/materials request to meet time requirement.
- Track materials warranties in SAP for major/high value parts.
- Resolve all open accounts payable issues as they occur
- Ensuring products are purchased at the right time, to specifications and at a competitive price.
- Negotiating with vendors and build a positive long-term relationship.
- Update status of outstanding Purchase orders.
- Proactively expedite parts with vendors.
- Send reminder to Suppliers for late deliveries.
- Researching new suppliers and make recommendations to the MRO Supervisor.
- Drive cost reduction activities through spare parts alternate vendor sourcing while maintaining parts reliability.
- This position will be expected to drive continuous improvement efforts in Purchasing.
- Practices safe work habits and encourage others to do the same.
- Must be able to be licensed with various Power workers.
- Good leadership and communication skills works well in a team environment.
- Promotes and maintains a safe working environment through compliance with MLF’s Health and Safety Program. This includes Food Safety and Environmental compliance.
- Demonstrates a full commitment to the implementation of the requirements of the Global Standard for Food Safety and to processes which facilitate continual improvement of food safety and quality management.
- Identifies work to be performed and performs the work without being directed by others.
- May be required to cover some duties of MRO Coordinator for vacation coverage.
- Other tasks as assigned.
What You’ll Bring:
- Experience in Manufacturing Plant, or heavy industry experience as a Buyer or a related role such as supply change management and/or Procurement/Buying is required.
- Comfortable using a Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS), SAP-PM preferable
- Excellent interpersonal, Critical thinking, Communication and Negotiation skills.
- Ability to quickly learn SAP and associated indirect procurement module.
- Strong knowledge of MRO parts and procurement.
- Strong analytical and organizational skills.
- Able to adapt to change and work towards efficient processes.
What We Offer at Maple Leaf Foods:
- Being part of a high-performance, people-focused company that has an inspiring and unique vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, and a deep commitment to sustainable protein across North America.
- An inclusive company culture and a work environment that keeps our people safe, rewards excellence, and empowers everyone to learn and contribute their best.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that offer flexibility to meet your individual or family needs, including programs focused on improving mental health and wellbeing. These benefits start on your first day of employment.
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan with company matching that starts on your first day of employment.
- Learning and development opportunities, including workshops, ‘speaker series’ events, and resources that allow you to develop your skills and progress your career.
- Comprehensive tuition reimbursement program that supports continuous learning and development of our team members through investment in eligible degrees, diplomas, professional certification, or trades programs.
- Supporting our deep commitment to community impact, we offer up to two paid days annually to volunteer at a cause of your choice.
We’re a carbon neutral food company on a purposeful journey to Raise the Good in Food through better nutrition, safer food and workplaces, more humane animal care, and environmental sustainability efforts that protect our planet. We care about our communities and commit to reducing food insecurity in Canada. Join us on the journey. Let’s build a better future, together.
We’re passionate about food. For more than 100 years, we’ve made delicious, healthy protein that Canadians love under iconic national and regional brands, like Maple Leaf®, Schneiders®, and Greenfield Natural Meat Co.® We’re on a journey to become the most sustainable protein company – not just in Canada – but on earth.
- We are carbon neutral.
- We are one of the only food companies in Canada to set science-based targets.
- We aim to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025.
We’re a global food company with more than 13,500 team members. We operate sites in 20+ locations across Canada. We also have locations in the U.S. and Mexico, and do business in Asia.
A diverse and inclusive work environment
Championing diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision and living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values. We believe in building, investing in, recognizing, and rewarding remarkable people who value an inclusive workplace, embrace all forms of diversity, and commit to including every voice in our collaborative environment. We’re so much stronger when we know we’re accepted and valued for who we are and what we each bring to the workplace.
We embrace a strong, values-based culture
Our eight Leadership Values are our north star. They guide the decisions we make for all our stakeholders: our consumers, our customers, our people, our communities, our shareholders, and the environment.
- Doing What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to ensuring the health and safety of all our employees. As part of this commitment, we have adopted a number of COVID-19 safety measures, including a requirement for all employees to be fully vaccinated by March 31, 2022 and to show proof of vaccination. In keeping with this policy, successful candidates will need to provide proof of vaccination by March 31, 2022 (or prior to their first day of work if the start date is after March 31, 2022). We will of course consider accommodations for anyone unable to be vaccinated following human rights and other applicable laws
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
Championing diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision, living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values, and delivering winning results. Accommodation is available upon request for applicants with disabilities in the recruitment and assessment process and when hired; please contact our Talent Attraction Team at email@example.com.