The HACCP Specialist is responsible for administering HACCP Program and Food Safety protocols at the Edmonton Poultry facility. The incumbent will act as the primary contact for the CFIA Inspectors and HACCP system audits. The candidate is responsible for ensuring a safe, cost effective and service-oriented department, while providing values-based leadership to other employees in the department in compliance to policy, regulatory standards, and business goals across the facility. The ideal candidate will be a strong leader with superior technical knowledge and influencing skills, in alignment with Maple Leaf Leadership Values.
Snapshot of a Day-in-the-Life:
- Key Position Accountabilities/Responsibilities
- Ensures that HACCP system (Pre-requisite and HACCP plans) are maintained up to date as per current SFCR, FSEP / PCP and other applicable legislative requirements.
- Update SOPs and forms as necessary from HACCP system reassessments, program changes, new/modified products and equipment, etc. Ensure cross functional engagement in SOP development.
- Responsible for annual HACCP and Pre-requisite program reassessment.
- Maintain the HACCP and pre-requisite programs by auditing, monitoring, scheduling, verifying and validating results.
- Food Safety Liaise with CFIA. Works with CFIA to complete CVS tasks or Sub-Element inspections in a proficient, effective manner. Ensure all corrective actions for IR-CARs or incident responses are completed in a timely manner.
- Excellent document control and effective follow up on corrective actions.
- Conduct annual and new employee training on CCP monitoring and other HACCP SOPs as required.
- Train Quality Assurance, Operations, Maintenance, Distribution Supervisors and hourly front line employees annually or when changes occur to HACCP program and BRC program requirements
- Verification of daily QA technician/plant monitoring records for accuracy and completed follow up to identified deviations.
- Maintains deviation program, following up on issues and corrective actions based on deviations found in plant programs. Assist with investigating and performing food safety risk assessment for food safety related complaints and incidents at the plant.
- Generating non-conformance reporting and notifications through SAP. Assists with the management of the corrective action program to reduce the occurrence of repeat deficiencies / deviations (i.e.: follow up on non-compliances to ensure effectiveness) for continuous improvement.
- Maintains corrective action tracker data base to ensure continuous improvement activities cited from internal and external audits are acted upon and remain on track.
- Assist with third party audits (CFIA CVS Section 4, HACCP, BRC, FSQMS or customer) and prepare/coach cross functional managers before and during these audits.
- Facilitates and chairs monthly Food Safety and HACCP meetings, and issues monthly minutes
- Develop a constructive work environment through excellent interpersonal, team building skills, open communications, encouraging input and constructive performance management.
- Maintain current / up-to-date knowledge of industry testing standards and procedures.
- Support in-house lab program as required.
- Support FSQA Manager and Food Safety functions in absence of FSQA Supervisor as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
Features of Work Conditions:
- Able to work in a Fresh Poultry processing facility with a full slaughter process
- Cold environment while in manufacturing area.
- Shift flexibility required, including night shift
What You’ll Bring:
- Bachelor of Science in Food Science / Microbiology program or equivalent
- 3-5 years’ experience in food related quality assurance role (poultry / meat industry preferred)
- Strong experience in developing and maintaining Quality Assurance programs, HACCP systems and SOP's
- SAP knowledge is an asset
- Third party auditing experience is an asset
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel & Windows
- Excellent organizational, project management and multi-tasking and prioritization skills
- Detail and fine print conscious
- Ability to trouble shoot and problem-solve with sound judgement
- Innovative and creative problem solving in finding solutions and opportunities
- Strong supervisory and leadership skills
- Must be able to work with minimum supervision
- Must be able to collaborate in a team environment
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
What We Offer at Maple Leaf Foods:
- Being part of a high-performance, people-focused company that has an inspiring and unique vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, and a deep commitment to sustainable protein across North America.
- An inclusive company culture and a work environment that keeps our people safe, rewards excellence, and empowers everyone to learn and contribute their best.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that offer flexibility to meet your individual or family needs, including programs focused on improving mental health and wellbeing. These benefits start on your first day of employment.
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan with company matching that starts on your first day of employment.
- Learning and development opportunities, including workshops, ‘speaker series’ events, and resources that allow you to develop your skills and progress your career.
- Comprehensive tuition reimbursement program that supports continuous learning and development of our team members through investment in eligible degrees, diplomas, professional certification, or trades programs.
- Supporting our deep commitment to community impact, we offer up to two paid days annually to volunteer at a cause of your choice.
We’re a carbon neutral food company on a purposeful journey to Raise the Good in Food through better nutrition, safer food and workplaces, more humane animal care, and environmental sustainability efforts that protect our planet. We care about our communities and commit to reducing food insecurity in Canada. Join us on the journey. Let’s build a better future, together.
We’re passionate about food. For more than 100 years, we’ve made delicious, healthy protein that Canadians love under iconic national and regional brands, like Maple Leaf®, Schneiders®, and Greenfield Natural Meat Co.® We’re on a journey to become the most sustainable protein company – not just in Canada – but on earth.
- We are carbon neutral.
- We are one of the only food companies in Canada to set science-based targets.
- We aim to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025.
We’re a global food company with more than 13,500 team members. We operate sites in 20+ locations across Canada. We also have locations in the U.S. and Mexico, and do business in Asia.
A diverse and inclusive work environment
Championing diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision and living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values. We believe in building, investing in, recognizing, and rewarding remarkable people who value an inclusive workplace, embrace all forms of diversity, and commit to including every voice in our collaborative environment. We’re so much stronger when we know we’re accepted and valued for who we are and what we each bring to the workplace.
We embrace a strong, values-based culture
Our eight Leadership Values are our north star. They guide the decisions we make for all our stakeholders: our consumers, our customers, our people, our communities, our shareholders, and the environment.
- Doing What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to ensuring the health and safety of all our employees. As part of this commitment, we have adopted a number of COVID-19 safety measures, including a requirement for all employees to be fully vaccinated by March 31, 2022 and to show proof of vaccination. In keeping with this policy, successful candidates will need to provide proof of vaccination by March 31, 2022 (or prior to their first day of work if the start date is after March 31, 2022). We will of course consider accommodations for anyone unable to be vaccinated following human rights and other applicable laws
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
Championing diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision, living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values, and delivering winning results. Accommodation is available upon request for applicants with disabilities in the recruitment and assessment process and when hired; please contact our Talent Attraction Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.