Chief Stationary Engineer
A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
Maple Leaf Foods is embarking on one of the most exciting journeys in its history through the build and startup of a world-class, leading edge manufacturing facility producing premium, value added fresh poultry products. The new 640,000 square foot facility will call London, ON home and will employ over 1,600 employees as we ramp up operations over the next few years.
We are looking for equally enthusiastic people who want to join our team as we start to climb our own version of Everest. As with every great feat, the realities of this opportunity may come with some challenges and we are looking for people who have the commitment to working through these together. We believe that participation in this start-up requires great passion for our objectives, the flexibility to adapt to the needs of the environment, and a resilient spirit rooted in the desire to achieve winning results as a team. Together we believe we will do great things for our people, our consumers, and our communities.
If you think that this opportunity might be for you, we encourage you to read more details about this exciting role below.
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
The Chief Stationary Engineer reports directly to the Engineering and Automation Leader. Under your leadership, a team of stationary engineers will safely operate and maintain critical plant assets and systems within the powerhouse to maximize utility availability and efficiency.
As Chief Stationary Engineer, you will:
- Consistent with our leadership values, act as a champion for our culture by leading the Powerhouse team in the development and execution of a positive and productive environment that permeates through all levels and is focused on the needs of our people
- Maintain a safe and clean work environment by ensuring the plant and powerhouse are operating in accordance with TSSA regulations, and that all work performed complies with governing practices, codes and regulations.
- Participate in the development, planning, execution, and review of preventative maintenance programs and standard operation procedures for areas under the powerhouse responsibility
- Ensure daily plant inspections of key equipment such as the ammonia-refrigeration, steam boilers, compressors, hot / cold / high pressure water systems such that all pressurized systems are operating in a safe and expected manner
- Utilize a state-of-the-art Building Automation System to monitor and control various systems throughout the facility including HVAC
- Ensure the accurate recording of data and all relevant information to the operation of the plant under the Chief Engineer’s jurisdiction
- Provide leadership to direct reports by setting clear expectations, promoting employee engagement, providing regular feedback, coaching and development
- Assess the performance of the operating engineers and take appropriate actions when needed in accordance with Company policies and TSSA regulations
- Contribute to our sustainability culture by seeking to eliminate waste and taking actions to improve the efficiency of systems that consume natural gas, electricity, and water
- Be willing to take on additional responsibilities as position requires, including the duties of the operating engineer if ever needed
- Recognize, support and commit to the facility food safety and quality assurance promise
- Contributes as a key member of the Management Team in strategic decisions including continuous improvement and Six Sigma initiatives
What we have to offer you:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
The successful candidate will be results-oriented, thrive in a fast paced, demanding environment, and have the ability to develop positive working relationships with all employees. Candidates must have:
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
- Valid and current 2nd Class Stationary Engineer and/or Refrigeration “A” Operator certificate
- Minimum 5 years of experience as a Chief Stationary Engineer
- Strong communication and motivational leadership skills with the ability to develop a positive safety culture within the team
- High sense of urgency, and a bias for action
- Experience with developing and executing Preventative Maintenance Plans
- Excellent planning, analytical and organizational skills
- Experience with CMMS & Process Software such as SAP and Factory Talk
- Innovative and creative thinker to resolve problems, offer multiple solutions to challenges and recognize potential opportunities
- Experience with Process Improvement Methodologies (Six Sigma, RCA, RCM etc.)
- Experience in Food Processing or Manufacturing environment would be considered an asset
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at email@example.com. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.