A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Open Position: Refrigeration B (A Class Operator Accepted)
The Refrigeration B Plant Operator has the direct accountability for ensuring the maintenance of facility boilers, chilling units and HVAC units. They will oversee the maintenance and operations of plants utilities under the supervision of the Chief Engineer.
- Maintain/ Monitor/Test/ log all steam generating requirements by operation code
- Maintain/Monitor/Check all refrigeration equipment requirements to TSSA Standards
- Participate in plant equipment repairs/installations
- Interface with necessary Contractual and Inspection Departments for corrective and/or legal requirements
- Carry out oral/ printed work requests and apply corrective measures in a timely fashion utilizing computerized maintenance system
- Maintain accurate records of safe management, operations and maintenance through compliance
- Improve plant efficiency by reporting on operating conditions of equipment, determine operating window, and helping to develop and maintain a maintenance program
- Troubleshoot any mechanical breakdown relating to the Utilities Department to ensure minimal loss in manufacturing of our products
- Work together with all other departments to ensure a productive team environment and the continuous improvement of the plant processes
- Understand all operating procedures of our facilities processing equipment and is able to maintain it
- Maintain a safe and clean work environment by ensuring plant and powerhouse are operating in accordance with the Technical Standards and Safety Authority (T.S.S.A.)
- Ensure all work performed complies with governing practices, codes and regulations
- Fulfill all Health and Safety, Food Safety, HACCP. WHIMS, MSDS requirements.
- Other responsibilities as required
- The successful applicant will hold a refrigeration B ticket in good standing with the TSSA.
- Refrigeration A class operator in good standing with TSSA accepted.
- 2-3 years of experience in a manufacturing food processing environment if preferred
- Mechanical abilities and trouble shooting skills are required
- Practical knowledge of the operation and maintenance of heating and cooling systems is required
- Previous experience working with SOP's and GMP's is an asset
- The successful applicant will have excellent communication skills and take initiative
- Works well in a team environment and support fellow team members
- Highly motivated and able to work well with minimal supervision
- Sense of urgency, attention to detail and ownership in quality of work
- Must be able to work afternoon and/or overnight shift. As well as flexibility for weekend coverage.