Considering a Career at Maple Leaf Foods?
Maple Leaf Foods is Canada’s leading consumer-packaged protein company, headquartered in
Toronto, Ontario. We make high-quality, great tasting, nutritious and innovative food products under leading brands including Maple Leaf®, Maple Leaf Prime®, Maple Leaf Natural Selections®, Schneiders®, Schneiders Country Naturals® and Mina™. Our Company employs approximately 11,500 people in its operations across Canada and exports to more than 20 global markets including the U.S. and Asia.
Our people are passionate about the work they do and the products we make. As we move forward, we are determined to leverage their integrity and passion to continue to build a high-performing, values-based company enabled by high-performing, motivated and talented people.
Title & Grade: General Labour
Reports To: Senior Production Supervisor
Department: Raw Meat / Ready to Eat Production Department
Shift Time: Day Shift, 6:30am - 3:00 pm
Wages: Starting wage: $14.25/hour; 1st Work Anniversary: $14.50/hour; 2nd Work Anniversary: $15.00/hour; 3rd Work Anniversary: Top rate of current year as per Collective Bargaining Agreement
Positions: Two (2) positions available
The General Labourer works in the Production department. He/she works in a fast-paced food manufacturing environment, responsible for packaging, trimming, clean-up and other food processing activities. This person has direct impact on the efficiency of our operation and contributes daily to quality of our products.
REQUIRED SKILLS, ABILITY & EXPERIENCE:
- Contributes to a healthy work environment, while maintaining high food safety and health and safety standards
- Works on the production line to process pork products
- Checks and weighs materials and/or product
- Checks product for basic quality defects
- Trims and removes quality defects from product
- Moves and lifts skids, tanks and combos
- Follows curing process of Salting & Desalting hams
- Able to apply leaf lard to product safely using appropriate tools and personal protective equipment
- Performs daily Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) monitoring tasks such as checking room temperatures, condensation and boot wash concentration
- Performs daily preoperational inspections accurately and completely
- Takes action to correct any issues and to make improvements, troubleshoots equipment if necessary
- Directly helps the department to meet targets and goals while maintaining a healthy and safe work environment
- Maintains productivity that meets/exceeds standards
- Dedicated to creating a high quality product that consistently meets product specifications
- Contributes to the team and the whole facility in a positive way
- Other responsibilities as required
- Able to work in a fast-paced work environment with repetitive tasks
- Able to stand and walk throughout the shift
- Able to perform repetitive lifting
- Able to lift up to 18 kilograms (approximately 40 pounds)
- Can work well in a team environment and support fellow team members
- Good communication skills, able to speak and read English
- Experience with SAP is an asset
- Experience in manufacturing or meat processing is an asset
- Punctual, reliable and responsible
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. We ensure that our recruitment practices are supportive of this commitment.