A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Deli Counter Solutions & Innovation Lead
- Six core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do what’s right
- Deliver winning results
- Build collaborative teams
- Get things done in a fact-based, disciplined way
- Learn and grow, inwardly and outwardly
- Dare to be transparent, passionate and humble
The Deli Counter, once a vibrant and dynamic part of the grocery store, has experienced declining sales amid changing consumer and retailing preferences. With Maple Leaf Foods’ stable of leading deli brands, the Deli Counter Solutions & Innovation Lead has the opportunity to reinvent the Deli Counter experience for a win-win-win: growth for Maple Leaf Foods, delighting our consumers, and reinvigorating this part of the store for our retail partners.
The Deli Counter Solutions & Innovation Lead will oversee the reinvention of the deli counter, reporting directly to the Director of Marketing. Requiring an inquisitive and creative mind and a deep understanding of how to design and translate consumer-centric strategies into execution at a grocery retail operations level.
A fulfilling, high-impact opportunity for someone who is driven, clever and experimentation oriented - comfortable with a lab and learn approach, and able to identify pivots quickly. You are not afraid to think outside the box and execute on bold thinking.
You will be working alongside our key retail partners and our commercial team to lead the visioning, strategic development, and full execution of a Deli revitalization plan.
A snap shot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
What you will bring:
- Reimagine and reinvent the Full-Service Deli Counter by identifying and teasing out actionable insights to create a strategic and executional blueprint.
- Experimenting with bold ideas and designs that will drive brand awareness, traffic and shopper engagement of the Deli Counter.
- Thinking through and ‘lab & learning’ with our retailer partners to create an engaging Deli Counter experience with complete end-to-end commercialization accountability
- Develop the sell story in close collaboration with the internal Sales Organization to secure customer buy-in of activation strategy
- Coordinate with our commercial team, design and activation agencies, and retail partners to bring the vision to life at store level
- Manage go-to-market plans and event logistics – working with store managers and Retail Operations to execute flawlessly; developing a playbook that can be replicated across grocery retailers.
- Work in collaboration with our core prepared meats team around product innovation ideas for the deli counter
- Key contributor to building a growth culture within Maple Leaf Foods
- Collaborate with sales, finance, product development, shopper and brand marketing, and communications partners to manage budget for deployment
- Lead the development of training materials for Deli Operators and educational/experience-based materials for shoppers
- Build out standard operating procedures to be used in the scaling up phase
What we have to offer you:
- Must be proactive and performance driven, have a bias for action and be able to work independently and under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to develop and sell-in business case plans for innovative business models
- Experience turning businesses around through retail execution, consumer-centric marketing and in-field retail expertise, a plus
- Strategic and innovative thinking with an entrepreneurial spirit and a track record for executing flawlessly
- Experience in consumer experience design and compelling product presentation in various retail/grocery environments, a plus
- A proactive mindset, with a sense of urgency and a deep desire to win
- Structured worker that can create processes, briefs and checklists to manage projects and stakeholders
- Valid driver's license and passport to be present in stores locally, nationally and internationally
- May require some evenings or weekends and travel to oversee and experience Lab & Learns, events or activations
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Extensive professional and career development opportunities
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at firstname.lastname@example.org. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.