The Manager, Distribution Sales is responsible for the commercial performance, growth, and viability of protein products across all categories and customers in their portfolio. This individual is a highly entrepreneurial leader, passionate about customers, and brings a proven ability to build meaningful relationships and partnerships with large customers. The Manager knows how to successfully connect customer strategies and needs with Maple Leaf’s capabilities and objectives to build winning solutions.
Any MLF team member interested in being considered for this role are encouraged to apply online by October 19. Applications received beyond that date are not guaranteed consideration.
Snapshot of a Day-in-the-Life:
- Lead selling efforts with Sysco Winnipeg and GFS Winnipeg– both existing and new customers.
- Manage and deliver P&L objectives including Volume, Sales, and Gross Profit. Inclusive of monthly/quarterly/annual reporting and forecasting against key metrics for the business.
- Develop a deep understanding of the customer’s strategy and oversee the development of joint customer business plans that support the broader Foodservice strategy and objectives. Inclusive of volume, GP, trade spend, promotional plans and business development plans.
- Work collaboratively with cross-functional teams to deliver business objectives and align priorities and resources across functions to support business strategies and priorities. These teams include: Marketing, Distribution, Finance, and Supply Chain.
- Build and maintain knowledge base of competitors and operator/customer trends in the marketplace/industry and integrate this information into strategic recommendations.
- Develop a detailed database of opportunities by customer, competitive landscape, financials, and timing.
- Be part of building a growth culture, rooted in discipline and fundamentals, that delivers winning customer partnerships, by instituting operating rhythms and practices for awareness and alignment of priorities within the team.
- Forecast and deliver budgets for the function with control of direct trade spend.
- Other projects/duties as assigned or needed.
What You’ll Bring:
- Diverse perspective that complements the skills, strengths and opportunities of the team.
- At least 5+ years of progressive sales experience managing customers, strategies, and business.
- University degree in business or related area.
- Excellent business and financial acumen.
- Consistency in delivering results focusing on overall profitability.
- Track record of simplifying complex situations, including financials, to develop executable and profitable solutions.
- Ability to synthesize data, insights and inferences into a coherent and logical chain that others can execute on.
- Deep industry and market knowledge.
- Ability to understand ML and customer goals and translate into clear and concise customer strategies with effective action plans.
- Ability to influence and leverage cross-functional resources (dedicated and/or shared) to identify and solve strategic issues.
- Exceptional story telling and communication skills (written and verbal).
- Strong negotiation skills including listening, probing, identifying interests, and mutually solving problems.
- Excellent relationship building skills (in a direct and virtual environment). Track record of leveraging relationships to maximize benefit for both parties (Maple Leaf Foods and customers).
- Ability to effectively adapt to different personality types to maximize value out of negotiations.
- Established track record of influencing at all levels of an organization to get things done.
- High energy, self-motivated, and proactive.
- Comfortable in a fast paced and high-performance culture.
- Confidence and ability to respectfully challenge decisions and/or status quo.
- Creative and strategic thinker who consistently looks for new and impactful ways to drive results.
- Highly aligned to MLF Values.
What We Offer at Maple Leaf Foods:
- Being part of a high-performance, people-focused company that has an inspiring and unique vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, and a deep commitment to sustainable protein across North America.
- An inclusive company culture and a work environment that keeps our people safe, rewards excellence, and empowers everyone to learn and contribute their best.
- A hybrid work model that embraces remote work for eligible roles, helping team members achieve work-life balance—combining the best of both spending time working remotely, benefitting from focus time, and purposeful collaboration in the office setting.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that offer flexibility to meet your individual or family needs, including programs focused on improving mental health and wellbeing. These benefits start on your first day of employment.
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan with company matching that starts on your first day of employment.
- Learning and development opportunities, including workshops, ‘speaker series’ events, and resources that allow you to develop your skills and progress your career.
- Comprehensive tuition reimbursement program that supports continuous learning and development of our team members through investment in eligible degrees, diplomas, professional certification, or trades programs.
- Supporting our deep commitment to community impact, we offer up to two paid days annually to volunteer at a cause of your choice.
We’re a carbon neutral food company on a purposeful journey to Raise the Good in Food through better nutrition, safer food and workplaces, more humane animal care, and environmental sustainability efforts that protect our planet. We care about our communities and commit to reducing food insecurity in Canada. Join us on the journey. Let’s build a better future, together.
We’re passionate about food. For more than 100 years, we’ve made delicious, healthy protein that Canadians love under iconic national and regional brands, like Maple Leaf®, Schneiders®, and Greenfield Natural Meat Co.® We’re on a journey to become the most sustainable protein company – not just in Canada – but on earth.
- We are carbon neutral.
- We are one of the only food companies in Canada to set science-based targets.
- We aim to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025.
We’re a global food company with more than 13,500 team members. We operate sites in 20+ locations across Canada. We also have locations in the U.S. and Mexico, and do business in Asia.
A diverse and inclusive work environment
Championing diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision and living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values. We believe in building, investing in, recognizing, and rewarding remarkable people who value an inclusive workplace, embrace all forms of diversity, and commit to including every voice in our collaborative environment. We’re so much stronger when we know we’re accepted and valued for who we are and what we each bring to the workplace.
We embrace a strong, values-based culture
Our eight Leadership Values are our north star. They guide the decisions we make for all our stakeholders: our consumers, our customers, our people, our communities, our shareholders, and the environment.
- Doing What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
Championing diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision, living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values, and delivering winning results. Accommodation is available upon request for applicants with disabilities in the recruitment and assessment process and when hired; please contact our Talent Attraction Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Disclaimer: Please note that salaries posted on sites other than the MLF Careers Page are not a reflection of Maple Leaf Foods and are an estimated salary range provided by that particular job board. Maple Leaf Foods offers competitive wages and an attractive total rewards package, which will be discussed during an interview with our Talent Team.