As part of Maple Leaf Food’s Finance team, the Manager of Accounts Payable is responsible for leading the Accounts Payable team and ensuring both Maple Leaf Foods & Greenleaf Foods develop and maintain strong relationships with vendors and internal stakeholders. This role reports directly to the Manager of Accounts Payable and Payroll and is part of the Finance Services leadership team.
Snapshot of a Day-in-the-Life:
- Manage and oversee the Accounts Payable team, which includes the Processing and Issues Resolution functions
- Develop and maintain strong vendor and internal relationships; engage with stakeholders to influence positions and reach decisions to ensure Finance principles are upheld
- Provide support to onboarding of vendors onto Ariba Network
- Ensure timely review and resolution of the following:
- SAP unreconciled items (Parked & Blocked)
- Clearing of GRIR items
- Ariba Exception handling follow up
- Tracking of ticket SLA’s and issues logged with AP
- Invoice processing backlogs
- Prepare and provide meaningful reporting to management such as KPI’s and budget analysis, clearly explaining the implications for the organization
- Identify and implement continuous improvements
- Leverage strong SAP knowledge to provide ongoing support and training to team
- Reassign workload to ensure coverage in all areas of Accounts Payable
- Ensure policies, controls and standards are updated, adhered to and adequately captured
- Key knowledge resource for the business on all matters affecting Accounts Payable including sales tax, withholding taxes, client confidentiality issues and other regulatory issues unique to the business
- Deliver high-quality service to business partners, including adherence to agreed service levels.
- Ensure team members understand and adhere to ethical standards when working with stakeholders
- Provide support for other people’s development through real-time, useful coaching, mentoring others on building effective teams, taking action to correct dysfunctional teams, setting clear objectives, ensuring the right mix of skills and leveraging individual strengths effectively
- Measure team progress using the right indicators; recognize when problems or shortfalls occur
- Propose team priorities and opportunities for the greatest strategic impact on the organization, taking into account industry and market trends
What You’ll Bring:
- Post-secondary degree in Finance, Accounting, or Business
- Experience in motivating, developing, and leading a large team i.e., 10 or more
- Strength in handling change management within the team
- Strong knowledge of accounting principles and accounts payable procedures typically acquired through 3 to 5 years of management experience
- Ability to delegate tasks, providing generally clear expectations to team members
- Advanced SAP knowledge and experience, knowledge of Ariba E-invoicing solutions also a benefit
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills, tailoring content, and style to the needs of the audience and comfortable communicating to small groups across the organization
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills with an aptitude for detail and accuracy, ability to take multiple perspectives into account when making decisions
- Team player with proven ability to raise performance level of group members
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Work, Excel, Outlook)
- Ability to explore strategic opportunities for efficiencies within the team
What We Offer at Maple Leaf Foods:
- Being part of a high-performance, people-focused company that has an inspiring and unique vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, and a deep commitment to sustainable protein across North America.
- An inclusive company culture and a work environment that keeps our people safe, rewards excellence, and empowers everyone to learn and contribute their best.
- A hybrid work model that embraces remote work for eligible roles, helping team members achieve work-life balance—combining the best of both spending time working remotely, benefitting from focus time, and purposeful collaboration in the office setting.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that offer flexibility to meet your individual or family needs, including programs focused on improving mental health and wellbeing. These benefits start on your first day of employment.
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan with company matching that starts on your first day of employment.
- Learning and development opportunities, including workshops, ‘speaker series’ events, and resources that allow you to develop your skills and progress your career.
- Comprehensive tuition reimbursement program that supports continuous learning and development of our team members through investment in eligible degrees, diplomas, professional certification, or trades programs.
- Supporting our deep commitment to community impact, we offer up to two paid days annually to volunteer at a cause of your choice.
We’re a carbon neutral food company on a purposeful journey to Raise the Good in Food through better nutrition, safer food and workplaces, more humane animal care, and environmental sustainability efforts that protect our planet. We care about our communities and commit to reducing food insecurity in Canada. Join us on the journey. Let’s build a better future, together.
We’re passionate about food. For more than 100 years, we’ve made delicious, healthy protein that Canadians love under iconic national and regional brands, like Maple Leaf®, Schneiders®, and Greenfield Natural Meat Co.® We’re on a journey to become the most sustainable protein company – not just in Canada – but on earth.
- We are carbon neutral.
- We are one of the only food companies in Canada to set science-based targets.
- We aim to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025.
We’re a global food company with more than 13,500 team members. We operate sites in 20+ locations across Canada. We also have locations in the U.S. and Mexico, and do business in Asia.
A diverse and inclusive work environment
Championing diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision and living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values. We believe in building, investing in, recognizing, and rewarding remarkable people who value an inclusive workplace, embrace all forms of diversity, and commit to including every voice in our collaborative environment. We’re so much stronger when we know we’re accepted and valued for who we are and what we each bring to the workplace.
We embrace a strong, values-based culture
Our eight Leadership Values are our north star. They guide the decisions we make for all our stakeholders: our consumers, our customers, our people, our communities, our shareholders, and the environment.
- Doing What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to ensuring the health and safety of all our employees. As part of this commitment, we have adopted a number of COVID-19 safety measures, including a requirement for all employees to be fully vaccinated by March 31, 2022 and to show proof of vaccination. In keeping with this policy, successful candidates will need to provide proof of vaccination by March 31, 2022 (or prior to their first day of work if the start date is after March 31, 2022). We will of course consider accommodations for anyone unable to be vaccinated following human rights and other applicable laws
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
Championing diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision, living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values, and delivering winning results. Accommodation is available upon request for applicants with disabilities in the recruitment and assessment process and when hired; please contact our Talent Attraction Team at email@example.com.