The successful candidate selected for this role will act as the primary contact for the CFIA Inspectors and HACCP system audits, CVS tasks and reassessments. The position requires strong leadership skills to guide and mentor the HACCP Team on day-to-day activities to continually challenge our food safety program. The HACCP Specialist develops, executes, and challenges existing programs while motivating all members of the Team to provide input and ideas in a constructive manner. As a site Specialist, the position requires the ability to organize and manage people timelines to ensure our reassessment and audit objectives are met throughout the year.
Snapshot of a Day-in-the-Life:
- Lead, coach and support HACCP and food safety teams to ensure maintenance of HACCP/Food Safety system audits.
- Support new product launches by ensuring new hazards are not introduced to the plant and the HACCP plan is updated in a timely manner
- Provide training to staff at the facility ensuring compliance to HACCP and Pre-req programs
- Ensure cross-functional engagement in HACCP Program & Meetings.
- Maintain the HACCP and pre-requisite programs by auditing, monitoring, scheduling, verifying and validating results.
- Continuous follow up with employees and supervisors on the production floor, providing regular updates on progress to the management team.
- Excellent document control and effective follow up on corrective actions.
- Initiate risk assessment of food safety with the objective of being able to implement strategies to minimize risk.
- Working knowledge of statistical process control to utilize in trending and tracking of processes.
- Recognize, support and commit to the Food Safety Promise.
- Comfortable assuming the responsibly of the Quality Assurance Manager and FSQA Supervisor.
- Ensure the facility is in compliance with all applicable regulatory requirements (CFIA, Health Canada, USDA, FDA, etc.)
- Lead and support internal and external audits (BRC, audits requested by customers, CFIA, etc.)
- Coordinate hold and release activities to support exports, pathogens test programs and non-conformance situations
- Ensure timely closure to necessary corrective action items associated with any 3rd party, internal or CFIA audits
- Administer and maintain Quality System compliance at the facility to meet all Customer and internal specifications
- Other duties as assigned.
What You’ll Bring:
- The successful candidate will be results-oriented, thrive in a fast paced, demanding environment, and have the ability to develop positive working relationships with all employees. Candidates must have:
- A University degree in Biology, Food Science, or related college or University program
- 3 to 6 years food related experience in a HACCP recognized plant.
- Experience with developing/maintaining HACCP or similar programs.
- An understanding of Canadian and US food regulations under CFIA, USDA, and FDA.
- Proven leadership with excellent listening and communication skills.
- Detail and fine print conscious with exemplary organizational skills.
- Strong computer skills to download and process data.
- Strong presentation and public speaking skills.
- Must be able to work with minimum supervision.
- Prepared to come in and audit and/or train on any shift as required to successfully implement and manage food safety initiatives.
What We Offer at Maple Leaf Foods:
- Being part of a high-performance, people-focused company that has an inspiring and unique vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, and a deep commitment to sustainable protein across North America.
- An inclusive company culture and a work environment that keeps our people safe, rewards excellence, and empowers everyone to learn and contribute their best.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that offer flexibility to meet your individual or family needs, including programs focused on improving mental health and wellbeing. These benefits start on your first day of employment.
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan with company matching that starts on your first day of employment.
- Learning and development opportunities, including workshops, ‘speaker series’ events, and resources that allow you to develop your skills and progress your career.
- Comprehensive tuition reimbursement program that supports continuous learning and development of our team members through investment in eligible degrees, diplomas, professional certification, or trades programs.
- Supporting our deep commitment to community impact, we offer up to two paid days annually to volunteer at a cause of your choice.
We’re a carbon neutral food company on a purposeful journey to Raise the Good in Food through better nutrition, safer food and workplaces, more humane animal care, and environmental sustainability efforts that protect our planet. We care about our communities and commit to reducing food insecurity in Canada. Join us on the journey. Let’s build a better future, together.
We’re passionate about food. For more than 100 years, we’ve made delicious, healthy protein that Canadians love under iconic national and regional brands, like Maple Leaf®, Schneiders®, and Greenfield Natural Meat Co.® We’re on a journey to become the most sustainable protein company – not just in Canada – but on earth.
- We are carbon neutral.
- We are one of the only food companies in Canada to set science-based targets.
- We aim to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025.
We’re a global food company with more than 13,500 team members. We operate sites in 20+ locations across Canada. We also have locations in the U.S. and Mexico, and do business in Asia.
A diverse and inclusive work environment
Championing diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision and living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values. We believe in building, investing in, recognizing, and rewarding remarkable people who value an inclusive workplace, embrace all forms of diversity, and commit to including every voice in our collaborative environment. We’re so much stronger when we know we’re accepted and valued for who we are and what we each bring to the workplace.
We embrace a strong, values-based culture
Our eight Leadership Values are our north star. They guide the decisions we make for all our stakeholders: our consumers, our customers, our people, our communities, our shareholders, and the environment.
- Doing What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to ensuring the health and safety of all our employees. As part of this commitment, we have adopted a number of COVID-19 safety measures, including a requirement for all employees to be fully vaccinated by March 31, 2022 and to show proof of vaccination. In keeping with this policy, successful candidates will need to provide proof of vaccination by March 31, 2022 (or prior to their first day of work if the start date is after March 31, 2022). We will of course consider accommodations for anyone unable to be vaccinated following human rights and other applicable laws
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
Championing diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision, living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values, and delivering winning results. Accommodation is available upon request for applicants with disabilities in the recruitment and assessment process and when hired; please contact our Talent Attraction Team at email@example.com.