As the leader of the plant FSQA team, the FSQA Manager is accountable for the execution of the Food Safety and Quality Assurance programs at the facility. The Manager is a key member of the facility management team and is responsible for driving continuous improvement in a fast-paced and demanding environment. Additionally, the Manager will establish and maintain positive relationships with operations, regulatory authorities and other internal and external contacts, and will lead and develop the FSQA team.
Snapshot of a Day-in-the-Life:
- Provide FSQA site leadership and guidance to the FSQA team and to other functional groups on quality and food safety related opportunities and issues.
- Contribute as a key member of the facility leadership team providing input on strategic decisions, continuous improvement and driving food safety culture.
- Actively participate in recurring cross functional meetings including leadership reviews, foreign material prevention meetings, project meetings, sanitation meetings, HACCP team meetings, product development meetings and others as required.
- Lead and/or support change management activities related to processes, programs and/or systems at the facility.
- Identify and recommend opportunities for continuous improvement within existing plant and corporate FSQA programs, lead and support the implementation of changes at the facility.
- Lead the plant team during internal and external audits (e.g. CFIA, BRC, customers), including preparation activities and any required corrective actions and related communication.
- Develop and advance relationships with regulatory bodies, customers, and other internal and external stakeholders.
- Lead and facilitate Food Safety and Quality Risk Assessments for product development projects, and as required when food safety and/or quality concerns are identified.
- Ensure timely resolution of any required corrective actions associated with audits and food safety or quality incidents.
- Accountable for hold and release activities related to pathogen test programs, non-conformance incidents, etc.
- Lead, coach and develop the facility’s FSQA team.
- Using fact-based analysis, provide guidance and recommendations to improve the facility’s food safety and quality systems.
- Ensure effective execution of all food safety and quality programs to meet corporate and customer food safety strategy & quality standards as well as all regulatory requirements.
- Lead facility activities during any potential product recalls and withdrawals.
- Lead investigations into consumer and customer complaints in a thorough and timely manner.
- Develop, enhance, execute and champion HACCP as a key member of the HACCP team.
- Ensure adherence to product specifications, establishing and assuring adherence to QMS governance, trend analysis of QMS performance (CQPs, CTQs, etc.) to identify, enable, and support implementation of process improvements as defined within QMS governance.
- Manage the plant FSQA budget.
What You’ll Bring:
- Minimum 5 years of experience leading a high performing FSQA team in a GFSI certified (BRC is an asset), regulated food manufacturing facility (RTE is an asset).
- Ability to leverage exceptional interpersonal and communication skills to develop productive internal and external relationships
- Proven ability to influence stakeholders at all levels to achieve desired results.
- Energetic and positive leadership style.
- Excellent observation and problem-solving skills.
- Proven ability to coach for high performance.
- Proven ability to work effectively as part of a cross functional leadership team.
- Demonstrated knowledge of HACCP, GFSI (BRC is an asset) requirements, relevant regulations.
- Ability to set and prioritize goals and objectives and communicate these to peers, direct reports, and senior leadership.
- Ability to use data to identify trends and proactively identify and implement corrective actions to mitigate and/or eliminate associated risks.
- Detail-focused with exemplary organizational, analytical, and planning abilities.
- Ability to work effectively in a team and independently in an ever-changing, fast paced environment.
- Strong systems skills (including MS Office).
- Bachelor’s Degree in Food Science, Microbiology or a related discipline.
What We Offer at Maple Leaf Foods:
- Being part of a high-performance, people-focused company that has an inspiring and unique vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, and a deep commitment to sustainable protein across North America.
- An inclusive company culture and a work environment that keeps our people safe, rewards excellence, and empowers everyone to learn and contribute their best.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that offer flexibility to meet your individual or family needs, including programs focused on improving mental health and wellbeing. These benefits start on your first day of employment.
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan with company matching that starts on your first day of employment.
- Learning and development opportunities, including workshops, ‘speaker series’ events, and resources that allow you to develop your skills and progress your career.
- Comprehensive tuition reimbursement program that supports continuous learning and development of our team members through investment in eligible degrees, diplomas, professional certification, or trades programs.
- Supporting our deep commitment to community impact, we offer up to two paid days annually to volunteer at a cause of your choice.
We’re a carbon neutral food company on a purposeful journey to Raise the Good in Food through better nutrition, safer food and workplaces, more humane animal care, and environmental sustainability efforts that protect our planet. We care about our communities and commit to reducing food insecurity in Canada. Join us on the journey. Let’s build a better future, together.
We’re passionate about food. For more than 100 years, we’ve made delicious, healthy protein that Canadians love under iconic national and regional brands, like Maple Leaf®, Schneiders®, and Greenfield Natural Meat Co.® We’re on a journey to become the most sustainable protein company – not just in Canada – but on earth.
- We are carbon neutral.
- We are one of the only food companies in Canada to set science-based targets.
- We aim to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025.
We’re a global food company with more than 13,500 team members. We operate sites in 20+ locations across Canada. We also have locations in the U.S. and Mexico, and do business in Asia.
A diverse and inclusive work environment
Championing diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision and living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values. We believe in building, investing in, recognizing, and rewarding remarkable people who value an inclusive workplace, embrace all forms of diversity, and commit to including every voice in our collaborative environment. We’re so much stronger when we know we’re accepted and valued for who we are and what we each bring to the workplace.
We embrace a strong, values-based culture
Our eight Leadership Values are our north star. They guide the decisions we make for all our stakeholders: our consumers, our customers, our people, our communities, our shareholders, and the environment.
- Doing What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to ensuring the health and safety of all our employees. As part of this commitment, we have adopted a number of COVID-19 safety measures, including a requirement for all employees to be fully vaccinated by March 31, 2022 and to show proof of vaccination. In keeping with this policy, successful candidates will need to provide proof of vaccination by March 31, 2022 (or prior to their first day of work if the start date is after March 31, 2022). We will of course consider accommodations for anyone unable to be vaccinated following human rights and other applicable laws
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
Championing diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision, living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values, and delivering winning results. Accommodation is available upon request for applicants with disabilities in the recruitment and assessment process and when hired; please contact our Talent Attraction Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.