As a Maintenance Supervisor, you will have an opportunity to provide leadership and guidance to the Maintenance team to ensure safe, effective, and efficient execution of all maintenance work. You will gain ‘hands-on’ supervisory experience, lead by example and inspire your team to deliver top results. This role will allow you to foster an environment that is passionate about safety, seek opportunities for continuous improvement, and implement best practice processes to move towards a world class maintenance program.
Snapshot of a Day-in-the-Life:
- Consistent with our leadership values, manage, motivate, develop and provide direct leadership to maintenance staff by reinforcing and encouraging a high-performance culture and safe working environment for all employees.
- Communicate and coordinate maintenance activities within the team and with all relevant stakeholders such as Operations, Sanitation, Engineering, Food Safety Quality Assurance and Health & Safety.
- Lead and support critical communication rhythms and meetings such as shift handovers, production reviews, maintenance scheduling and KPI review meetings
- Ensure there is efficient utilization of resources by managing maintenance staff capacity and floor coverage.
- Accountable for timely execution of all scheduled work and provides guidance to team members on prioritization of work including emergency/breakdown work.
- Responsible for monitoring and implementing actions to meet or exceed KPI targets
- Supervise and periodically audit maintenance work completed by team members and/or Contractors ensuring work is completed following all company policies and procedures including GMP, Health & Safety and Food Safety requirements.
- Ensure all maintenance work completed is accurately documented in SAP EAM
- Regularly review maintenance work requests and generate maintenance work orders when necessary
- Provide guidance to Maintenance Planning and Scheduling teams on priorities, work scope and development of maintenance strategies.
- Support planning, scheduling and execution of capital projects and shutdowns/turnarounds/asset restoration plans.
- Ensure compliance with all internal/external auditors and support execution of corrective actions when deficiencies are identified.
- Ensure compliance with all applicable provincial and federal labour regulations and adhere to the terms and conditions specified in the appropriate collective bargaining agreements.
- Lead and/or support execution of Root Cause Failure Analysis to mitigate repeat failures and reduce unplanned downtime.
- Represent Maintenance on cross-functional project teams and support implementation of continuous improvement projects.
What You’ll Bring:
The successful candidate will be results-oriented, thrive in a fast-paced environment, and have the ability to develop positive working relationships with all employees.
- A College or University graduate from an electro-mechanical program or a licensed tradesperson with related experience
- At home in a manufacturing environment and have 3 to 5 years of supervisory experience in a unionized environment.
- Strong interpersonal, communication and leadership skills
- Demonstrated ability to exercise effective prioritization and judgment in business decisions
- Familiar with the concept of world class maintenance and best practices
- Enrollment or completion of MMP and/or CMRP is an asset
- Aware of Six Sigma, RCM and autonomous maintenance principles
- A College/University graduate from an electro-mechanical program or a licensed tradesperson with related experience
- Conversant in preventive and predictive maintenance tactics
- Willing and flexible to work shifts as and when required
- Comfortable using a Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS), SAP-EAM preferably
- Recognized for their ability to troubleshoot and demonstrated organizational skills
- Experience in a food processing or manufacturing environment would be an asset
- Able to manage resources effectively using key performance indicators and benchmarking
- Proven record for identifying issues and implementing solutions to mitigate repeat failures
What We Offer at Maple Leaf Foods:
- Being part of a high-performance, people-focused company that has an inspiring and unique vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, and a deep commitment to sustainable protein across North America.
- An inclusive company culture and a work environment that keeps our people safe, rewards excellence, and empowers everyone to learn and contribute their best.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that offer flexibility to meet your individual or family needs, including programs focused on improving mental health and wellbeing. These benefits start on your first day of employment.
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan with company matching that starts on your first day of employment.
- Learning and development opportunities, including workshops, ‘speaker series’ events, and resources that allow you to develop your skills and progress your career.
- Comprehensive tuition reimbursement program that supports continuous learning and development of our team members through investment in eligible degrees, diplomas, professional certification, or trades programs.
- Supporting our deep commitment to community impact, we offer up to two paid days annually to volunteer at a cause of your choice.
We’re a carbon neutral food company on a purposeful journey to Raise the Good in Food through better nutrition, safer food and workplaces, more humane animal care, and environmental sustainability efforts that protect our planet. We care about our communities and commit to reducing food insecurity in Canada. Join us on the journey. Let’s build a better future, together.
We’re passionate about food. For more than 100 years, we’ve made delicious, healthy protein that Canadians love under iconic national and regional brands, like Maple Leaf®, Schneiders®, and Greenfield Natural Meat Co.® We’re on a journey to become the most sustainable protein company – not just in Canada – but on earth.
- We are carbon neutral.
- We are one of the only food companies in Canada to set science-based targets.
- We aim to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025.
We’re a global food company with more than 13,500 team members. We operate sites in 20+ locations across Canada. We also have locations in the U.S. and Mexico, and do business in Asia.
A diverse and inclusive work environment
Championing diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision and living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values. We believe in building, investing in, recognizing, and rewarding remarkable people who value an inclusive workplace, embrace all forms of diversity, and commit to including every voice in our collaborative environment. We’re so much stronger when we know we’re accepted and valued for who we are and what we each bring to the workplace.
We embrace a strong, values-based culture
Our eight Leadership Values are our north star. They guide the decisions we make for all our stakeholders: our consumers, our customers, our people, our communities, our shareholders, and the environment.
- Doing What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to ensuring the health and safety of all our employees. As part of this commitment, we have adopted a number of COVID-19 safety measures, including a requirement for all employees to be fully vaccinated by March 31, 2022 and to show proof of vaccination. In keeping with this policy, successful candidates will need to provide proof of vaccination by March 31, 2022 (or prior to their first day of work if the start date is after March 31, 2022). We will of course consider accommodations for anyone unable to be vaccinated following human rights and other applicable laws
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
Championing diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision, living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values, and delivering winning results. Accommodation is available upon request for applicants with disabilities in the recruitment and assessment process and when hired; please contact our Talent Attraction Team at email@example.com.