Responsible for maintaining and managing the facility’s food safety and quality assurance (FSQA) at the Wetaskiwin Poultry Hatchery. This entails the production and administrative activities as they relate to Food Safety and Quality Assurance, Animal Welfare and planned processes according to CFIA, Business unit and customer requirements. In addition, the candidate will be responsible for ensuring a safe, cost effective and service-oriented department, while providing MLF value-based leadership to employees at the facility.
Snapshot of a Day-in-the-Life:
- Supervise a staff of 1 QA tech with trained back-up to ensure tasks are conducted consistently, efficiently and meet the needs of the business and those of our stakeholders.
- Planning QA staffing requirement according to staffing levels and production demands:
- Management of payroll hours on a daily/ weekly basis
- Employee development
- Vacation scheduling.
- Ensure consistent execution of production and sanitation related activities to produce a quality product through monitoring and validation procedures and processes.
- Maintain or update current QA programs and internal SOPs and compliance with BU and CFIA requirements.
- Assist with HACCP and MLF Food Safety and Quality program updates, maintenance, verification and function as a cross functional liaison to ensure the plant is meeting regulatory and compliance requirements for all stakeholders.
- Lead third party audits (HACCP, Animal Welfare or customer) and prepare/ coach cross-functional managers before and during these audits.
- Lead on follow up and issue any corrective actions, if necessary, based on deviation found in plant process or resulting from customer complaints.
- Conduct monthly animal welfare audit.
- Conduct monthly, annual and new employee training (including orientation) on topics including but not limited to GMP, HACCP and Animal Welfare, and revise training programs as required.
- Lead with cross functional SOP development and ensure that facility SOPs and related documents are in correct format, properly stored and distributed as per manufacturing excellence requirements.
- Assist cross-functional team in investigating incidents and customer complaints.
- Provide functional support to crisis team including functioning as recall coordinator.
- Develop a constructive work environment through excellent interpersonal, team building skills, open communications, encouraging input and constructive performance management.
- Maintain an attitude of continuous improvement and training of employees at hourly and salary levels.
- Take lead on executing various initiatives to improve the quality and safety of our process and products.
- Support QA and Food Safety functions on after-hours shifts as required.
- Support to Six Sigma projects.
- Other duties as assigned.
What You’ll Bring:
- Post-Secondary Education relating to Animal Science, Veterinary Science, Microbiology, Food Science, or related discipline.
- Experience in a food safety or quality assurance role is beneficial
- Supervisory experience beneficial.
- Excellent organizational, project management, multi-tasking and prioritization skills to be able to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Innovative and creative problem solving in finding solutions and opportunities.
- Proficient in Microsoft office.
- Exceptional leadership and communication skills.
What We Offer at Maple Leaf Foods:
- Being part of a high-performance, people-focused company that has an inspiring and unique vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, and a deep commitment to sustainable protein across North America.
- An inclusive company culture and a work environment that keeps our people safe, rewards excellence, and empowers everyone to learn and contribute their best.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that offer flexibility to meet your individual or family needs, including programs focused on improving mental health and wellbeing. These benefits start on your first day of employment.
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan with company matching that starts on your first day of employment.
- Learning and development opportunities, including workshops, ‘speaker series’ events, and resources that allow you to develop your skills and progress your career.
- Comprehensive tuition reimbursement program that supports continuous learning and development of our team members through investment in eligible degrees, diplomas, professional certification, or trades programs.
- Supporting our deep commitment to community impact, we offer up to two paid days annually to volunteer at a cause of your choice.
We’re a carbon neutral food company on a purposeful journey to Raise the Good in Food through better nutrition, safer food and workplaces, more humane animal care, and environmental sustainability efforts that protect our planet. We care about our communities and commit to reducing food insecurity in Canada. Join us on the journey. Let’s build a better future, together.
We’re passionate about food. For more than 100 years, we’ve made delicious, healthy protein that Canadians love under iconic national and regional brands, like Maple Leaf®, Schneiders®, and Greenfield Natural Meat Co.® We’re on a journey to become the most sustainable protein company – not just in Canada – but on earth.
- We are carbon neutral.
- We are one of the only food companies in Canada to set science-based targets.
- We aim to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025.
We’re a global food company with more than 13,500 team members. We operate sites in 20+ locations across Canada. We also have locations in the U.S. and Mexico, and do business in Asia.
A diverse and inclusive work environment
Championing diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision and living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values. We believe in building, investing in, recognizing, and rewarding remarkable people who value an inclusive workplace, embrace all forms of diversity, and commit to including every voice in our collaborative environment. We’re so much stronger when we know we’re accepted and valued for who we are and what we each bring to the workplace.
We embrace a strong, values-based culture
Our eight Leadership Values are our north star. They guide the decisions we make for all our stakeholders: our consumers, our customers, our people, our communities, our shareholders, and the environment.
- Doing What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to ensuring the health and safety of all our employees. As part of this commitment, we have adopted a number of COVID-19 safety measures, including a requirement for all employees to be fully vaccinated by March 31, 2022 and to show proof of vaccination. In keeping with this policy, successful candidates will need to provide proof of vaccination by March 31, 2022 (or prior to their first day of work if the start date is after March 31, 2022). We will of course consider accommodations for anyone unable to be vaccinated following human rights and other applicable laws
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
Championing diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision, living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values, and delivering winning results. Accommodation is available upon request for applicants with disabilities in the recruitment and assessment process and when hired; please contact our Talent Attraction Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.