The Director, Taxes provides leadership and management to the tax function working with senior management and the corporate finance team as well as collaborating with internal and external stakeholders.
Reporting to the Vice President, Taxation, this position is an integral part of the finance team providing leadership, technical expertise, and executing on our tax strategies. This role will manage the Company’s income tax accounting and compliance activities and participate in tax controversy matters, tax planning, and ad hoc projects. The Director, Tax will develop talent within the tax team and have a strong collaborative relationship with members of MLF’s Finance team.
Snapshot of a Day-in-the-Life:
- Lead and inspire your two direct reports and manage the tax team‘s income tax activities (may also include commodity taxes for an experienced candidate).
- Ensure timely delivery and responsible for overseeing and managing consolidated income tax provisions.
- Identify and implement opportunities for process improvements and efficiencies.
- Collaborate and partner with the financial reporting, treasury, investor relations, and operations teams for forecasting, organizational structuring initiatives, and periodic reporting.
- Provide leadership to the tax team ensuring the timely and accurate completion of domestic income tax compliance requirements.
- Collaborate with the VP Taxation on tax planning projects and in managing income tax audits and managing the Company’s relationship with the CRA.
- Interact with colleagues and executives in other functions, including on special projects and ad hoc requests.
- Ensure that the quality of tax analyses, tax reporting, and compliance activities are consistent with professional standards and company policies and procedures
- Develop team members by providing coaching and mentorship. Take on an active role in the professional development of team’s members.
- Develop a deep understanding of Maple Leaf Foods: its business, strategy, culture and vision and leadership values.
What You’ll Bring:
- CPA (preferably CA background).
- Completed the CPA Canada In-depth Tax Course and/or hold an MTax degree.
- Minimum 10 years Canadian income tax experience, including at least 5 years at a public company.
- Manufacturing background preferred.
- Ability to develop a close working relationship with business partners in order to obtain a deep understanding of the business.
- Experience implementing and managing international tax structures and related compliance.
- Experience dealing with CRA auditors and Appeals.
- Experience managing a team of professionals.
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills.
- Strong problem-solving skills and the ability to deal with ambiguity.
- Ability to communicate complex information clearly, concisely and to work comfortably with all levels of management.
What We Offer at Maple Leaf Foods:
- Being part of a high-performance, people-focused company that has an inspiring and unique vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, and a deep commitment to sustainable protein across North America.
- An inclusive company culture and a work environment that keeps our people safe, rewards excellence, and empowers everyone to learn and contribute their best.
- A hybrid work model that embraces remote work for eligible roles, helping team members achieve work-life balance—combining the best of both spending time working remotely, benefitting from focus time, and purposeful collaboration in the office setting.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that offer flexibility to meet your individual or family needs, including programs focused on improving mental health and wellbeing. These benefits start on your first day of employment.
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan with company matching that starts on your first day of employment.
- Learning and development opportunities, including workshops, ‘speaker series’ events, and resources that allow you to develop your skills and progress your career.
- Comprehensive tuition reimbursement program that supports continuous learning and development of our team members through investment in eligible degrees, diplomas, professional certification, or trades programs.
- Supporting our deep commitment to community impact, we offer up to two paid days annually to volunteer at a cause of your choice.
We’re a carbon neutral food company on a purposeful journey to Raise the Good in Food through better nutrition, safer food and workplaces, more humane animal care, and environmental sustainability efforts that protect our planet. We care about our communities and commit to reducing food insecurity in Canada. Join us on the journey. Let’s build a better future, together.
We’re passionate about food. For more than 100 years, we’ve made delicious, healthy protein that Canadians love under iconic national and regional brands, like Maple Leaf®, Schneiders®, and Greenfield Natural Meat Co.® We’re on a journey to become the most sustainable protein company – not just in Canada – but on earth.
- We are carbon neutral.
- We are one of the only food companies in Canada to set science-based targets.
- We aim to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025.
We’re a global food company with more than 13,500 team members. We operate sites in 20+ locations across Canada. We also have locations in the U.S. and Mexico, and do business in Asia.
A diverse and inclusive work environment
Championing diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision and living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values. We believe in building, investing in, recognizing, and rewarding remarkable people who value an inclusive workplace, embrace all forms of diversity, and commit to including every voice in our collaborative environment. We’re so much stronger when we know we’re accepted and valued for who we are and what we each bring to the workplace.
We embrace a strong, values-based culture
Our eight Leadership Values are our north star. They guide the decisions we make for all our stakeholders: our consumers, our customers, our people, our communities, our shareholders, and the environment.
- Doing What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to ensuring the health and safety of all our employees. As part of this commitment, we have adopted a number of COVID-19 safety measures, including a requirement for all employees to be fully vaccinated by March 31, 2022 and to show proof of vaccination. In keeping with this policy, successful candidates will need to provide proof of vaccination by March 31, 2022 (or prior to their first day of work if the start date is after March 31, 2022). We will of course consider accommodations for anyone unable to be vaccinated following human rights and other applicable laws
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
Championing diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision, living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values, and delivering winning results. Accommodation is available upon request for applicants with disabilities in the recruitment and assessment process and when hired; please contact our Talent Attraction Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.