A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
Maple Leaf Foods is looking for a dynamic business & category marketing professional to join our team in the role of Category Marketing Associate. This role will be responsible for supporting the success and growth of assigned categories and will work closely with the Category Marketing Manager to seamlessly execute category plans to deliver business objectives. This position needs to balance creative skills with critical thinking, project management, and performance measurement. The successful candidate will be someone who wants to build a career in CPG marketing with a track record of delivering success in category and/or consumer marketing.
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
- Work directly with the Category Marketing Manager and Category Director to develop and execute category strategies to inform annual plans.
- Support execution of consumer-centric innovation including new product launches by acting as project lead with cross-functional stakeholders (product development, finance, revenue management, operations, packaging, graphics, & purchasing) to ensure successful, on-time launches
- Consistently leverage data and develop insights from Nielsen and internal data sources to provide category share and financial reporting and analysis for the category, including weekly, monthly, and annual rhythms as well as ad hoc analyses
- Analyze brand and category performance in addition to market and competitive trends to recommend suitable actions
- Participate in budgeting process, annual planning and development of category strategies
- Support sales and brand teams with development of customer-facing material such as category stories, product decks, etc.
What we have to offer you:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
- Post-secondary degree in Business or Marketing with at least one year of previous experience in marketing or category management role within consumer-packaged goods or retail grocery industry.
- Proven track record in product commercialization from concept through market execution
- Excellent project management skills with the ability to anticipate potential issues, keen attention to detail and superior organizational skills.
- Proactive and performance driven, have a bias for action and be able to work under pressure in a fast paced, dynamic environment.
- A strong team player with well-developed people and collaboration skills.
- A creative thinker with a passion for Marketing and an appetite to learn.
- Working knowledge and experience with Nielsen Answers, Numerator and PowerBI preferred.
- In addition to the following Competency requirements:
- Commercial Acumen – Basic understanding of key drivers of the P&L with ability to identify opportunities to move the business forward.
- Critical Thinking and Insights – Able to analyze and draw conclusions from internal & external data sources.
- Agility and Effectiveness – Able to stay focused on key business priorities in a dynamic business environment.
- Sales Knowledge and Connectivity – Demonstrates understanding of customer strategies and recognizes relationship to marketing planning process & initiative execution.
- Leadership and Influence – Able to work effectively with functional teams to achieve commercial objectives
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to ensuring the health and safety of all our employees. As part of this commitment, we have adopted a number of COVID-19 safety measures, including a requirement for all employees to be fully vaccinated by March 31, 2022 and to show proof of vaccination. In keeping with this policy, successful candidates will need to provide proof of vaccination by March 31, 2022 (or prior to their first day of work if the start date is after March 31, 2022). We will of course consider accommodations for anyone unable to be vaccinated following human rights and other applicable laws
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
Championing diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision, living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values, and delivering winning results. Accommodation is available upon request for applicants with disabilities in the recruitment and assessment process and when hired; please contact our Talent Attraction Team at email@example.com.