A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging.We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
The Manager, Multi Unit Accounts is responsible for the commercial performance, growth, and viability of protein products across all categories and customers in their portfolio. This individual is a highly entrepreneurial leader, passionate about customers, and brings a proven ability to build meaningful relationships and partnerships with large customers. The Manager knows how to successfully connect customer strategies and needs with Maple Leaf’s capabilities and objectives to build winning solutions.
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
- Lead selling efforts with our Canadian Multi Unit operators – both existing and new customers.
- Manage and deliver P&L objectives including Volume, Sales, and Gross Profit. Inclusive of monthly/quarterly/annual reporting and forecasting against key metrics for the business.
- Develop a deep understanding of the customer’s strategy and oversee the development of joint customer business plans that support the broader Foodservice strategy and objectives. Inclusive of volume, GP, trade spend, promotional plans and business development plans.
- Lead and work collaboratively with cross-functional teams to deliver business objectives and align priorities and resources across functions to support business strategies and priorities. Manage risks and coach teams to reach their goals. These teams include: Marketing, Distribution, USA, Finance, and Supply Chain.
- Work closely with team to ensure successful execution of the account and relationship plans.
- Build and maintain knowledge base of competitors and operator/customer trends in the marketplace/industry and integrate this information into strategic recommendations.
- Develop a detailed database of opportunities by customer, competitive landscape, financials, and timing.
- Be part of building a growth culture, rooted in discipline and fundamentals, that delivers winning customer partnerships, by instituting operating rhythms and practices for awareness and alignment of priorities within the team.
- Forecast and deliver team budgets for the function with control of direct SG&A and trade spend.
- Other projects/duties as assigned or needed.
What we have to offer you:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
- Diverse perspective that complements the skills, strengths and opportunities of the team.
- At least 5+ years of progressive sales experience managing customers, strategies, and business.
- University degree in business or related area.
- Excellent business and financial acumen.
- Consistency in delivering results focusing on overall profitability.
- Track record of simplifying complex situations, including financials, to develop executable and profitable solutions.
- Ability to synthesize data, insights and inferences into a coherent and logical chain that others can execute on.
- Deep industry and market knowledge.
- Ability to understand ML and customer goals and translate into clear and concise customer strategies with effective action plans.
- Ability to influence and leverage cross-functional resources (dedicated and/or shared) to identify and solve strategic issues.
- Exceptional story telling and communication skills (written and verbal).
- Strong negotiation skills including listening, probing, identifying interests, and mutually solving problems.
- Excellent relationship building skills (in a direct and virtual environment). Track record of leveraging relationships to maximize benefit for both parties (Maple Leaf Foods and customers).
- Ability to effectively adapt to different personality types to maximize value out of negotiations.
- Established track record of influencing at all levels of an organization to get things done.
- High energy, self-motivated, and proactive.
- Comfortable in a fast paced and high-performance culture.
- Confidence and ability to respectfully challenge decisions and/or status quo.
- Creative and strategic thinker who consistently looks for new and impactful ways to drive results.
- Highly aligned to MLF Values.
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
Championing diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision, living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values, and delivering winning results. Accommodation is available upon request for applicants with disabilities in the recruitment and assessment process and when hired; please contact our Talent Attraction Team at email@example.com.