A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging.We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
Reporting to the Human Resources Manager, the incumbent will provide direction and support in the plant as it relates to the Health and Safety function for the plant’s hourly, and will work closely with the Managers, Supervisors, and JHSC. They are responsible for monitoring, coaching and training, and investigation of Health & Safety within the plant. The ideal candidate will be someone who thrives on working in a stimulating, fast paced environment with flexible working hours
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
- Draft, review, and implement with support from Plant Leadership the H&S program for a facility startup
- Reviews and follows up with supervisors to ensure timeliness, appropriateness of incident follow through on corrective action and root cause analysis.
- Identify hazardous conditions and ensure appropriate corrective actions are identified and completed in a timely fashion.
- Collaborate with functional departments to determine health and safety improvement opportunities within the facility.
- Provide or assist the coordination of orientation, education, Health and Safety policies, and training to supervisors, employees, and the Joint Health & Safety Committee.
- Ensure that personal protective equipment is provided and being utilized, and all applicable record keeping is up to date.
- Utilize incident and root cause analysis to provide direction and recommendations on how to mitigate/control losses and foster a proactive safety culture.
- Ensure compliance with all Maple Leaf standards and applicable legislated requirements.
- Monthly analysis of accidents and injuries and compilation of monthly safety reports including the updating of period reports, statistical data and the Health and Safety MCR
- Filing/data input
- Maintain SDS
- Quickly adjust from one task to another, prioritize, and multitask.
- Conduct workplace inspections and hazard assessments i.e. safeguarding and lock out.
- Flexible Shifts, engagement in a 2-shift operation
- Administration of Health and Safety forms including: SunLife, Form 7, correspondence to WSIB regarding claims and back to work programs, modified logs & tracking sheet.
- Coordinates OHS training with external vendors as well as developing and delivering in-house OHS Training
- Work collaboratively with Human Resources e.g. Attendance Program
What we have to offer you:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
- Preference for post-secondary education directly related to Occupational Health and Safety or Human Resources with a minimum of 3 years’ related experience in a manufacturing or process industry,
- First Aid Certificate is an asset.
- Previous experience in ergonomic assessment is an asset.
- Desire to get out and about the facility, completing daily walk throughs and inspections in a food processing environment.
- Demonstrates results in a fast-paced environment.
- Proven initiative – balance priorities while exercising timely and good judgment in day-to-day business decisions.
- Experience as a Joint Health & Safety Committee Member an asset.
- Ability to confidently conduct orientations and employee training.
- Must be able to work independently and collaboratively.
- Responsible, conscientious, and detailed work ethic required.
- Strong PC skills and experience with Microsoft Office software applications.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Seeks out and applies best practices as solutions to correct deficiencies,
- Continues to examine learning opportunities in safety and for personal growth,
- Embraces the Maple Leaf Leadership Values to create superior shareholder value.
- Maintain Confidentiality
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
Championing diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision, living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values, and delivering winning results. Accommodation is available upon request for applicants with disabilities in the recruitment and assessment process and when hired; please contact our Talent Attraction Team at email@example.com.