A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging.We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
Reporting to the Site Leader, the Health and Safety Manager will be responsible for providing direction and leadership to all associates and visitors to the Heritage facility. In addition, is responsible for ensuring consistent administration and compliance with all health and safety regulations and programs by the Health and Safety team. This position is also responsible for development and delivery of the company-wide Health and Safety program, as well as managing all WSIB claims.
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
- Recommends way to reduce or eliminate industrial accidents and health hazards in collaboration with supervisors and managers, and the JHSC.
- Acts as a resource to management in health and safety related matters.
- Conducts training needs analyses, develops programs, promotes, coordinates and/or delivers program, policies and procedures to promote safe work practices which comply with all municipal, federal and provincial legislative requirements.
- Management Co-Chair on the Joint Health and Safety Committee
- Represents management in meetings with the Ministry of Labour.
- Maintains statistical data for reporting requirements.
- Ensures that all safety audits are conducted and documented appropriately.
- Oversees the administration of all WSIB claims, including the Return to Work Program
- Ensures that a high level of morale is maintained among associates and creates an environment where associates are motivated to achieve company goals and objectives.
- Initiates and participates in the design and implementation of improved production and cost reduction methods through the use of Six Sigma.
- Analyzes and resolves safety issues and assists workers in solving safety-related problems.
- Recognize, support and commit to the Safety promise
- Supervises direct reports
- Oversees Occupational Health Program
- Maintains site Environmental Program, including the E2 Plan, NPRI and any associated programs
- Other duties/tasks as assigned.
What we have to offer you:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
The successful candidate will be results-oriented, thrive in a fast paced, demanding environment, and have the ability to develop positive working relationships with all employees. Candidates must have:
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Ability to communicate and motivate at all levels
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Effective Supervisory skills
- Proven working knowledge of OSHA and relevant regulations, the WSIA and all other applicable legislation
- Detail and fine print conscious with exemplary organizational skills
- Strong computer skills to download and process data
- Strong presentation and public speaking skills
- Working knowledge of Six Sigma methodologies and tools
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
Championing diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision, living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values, and delivering winning results. Accommodation is available upon request for applicants with disabilities in the recruitment and assessment process and when hired; please contact our Talent Attraction Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.