Demand Planning Manager
A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
- Work with two peers and Director to actively manage the entire talent strategy of Demand Planning including scouting, recruitment, onboarding, investment and development of our talent
- Provide direct coaching and feedback to direct reports to support their day to day responsibilities as well as their ongoing personal development
- Manage career planning of direct reports through annual PAD process and MySuccess platform
- Actively participate in the annual LTR process to develop broader ML Supply Chain talent
- Deploy critical thinking, strategic vision and team building to continue the design, implementation and continuous execution and improvement of the new Category Demand Planning function
- Integrate the new Category Demand Planning team into existing processes (S&OP, Pulse, Segmentation, Budget, MCP, etc)
- Create and foster new working relationships with cross functional partners in Supply Planning, Marketing, Revenue Management, CSD, Finance, etc
- Lead the Category Demand Planning team to support new processes above on an ongoing basis while also bringing innovative thinking to create shared value
- Own the 4-18 month demand plan and represent Demand Planning in the S&OP process (Step 0-3 meetings)
- Drive policies and processes to continuously improve forecast performance in the 4-18 month horizon and lead teams to execute (e.g., upper level forecasting, driver-based forecasting, ongoing optimization)
- Lead analysis to determine time horizon in which the all-in stat forecast strategy drives better performance than base+lift forecast strategy and calibrate forecasts at the product, account & category level in the “4-6” month horizon
- Analyze variances between the all-in statistical forecast (tuned to include external factors) and the total S&OP forecast (incl. NPI, Other marketing and Pricing intelligence)
- Create E2E Scenarios to be used in capacity assessments by the Supply Planning team.
- Drive alignment on the 4-18 month demand plan at the monthly Step 0 and IBP Forecast Alignment meeting
- Provide insights to help shape new product launches, marketing intelligence, rationalization and pricing in collaboration with Marketing and Rev Man in the 4-18 month horizon
- Monitor long-term forecast for innovation SKUS in coordination with CBT Demand Planners to ensure the right demand signal is sent over our Operations group.
- Develop phase-in and phase-out curves for new products based on like item and aggregate demand patterns
- Provide key learnings from historical forecast performance and drive cross functional teams in improving the quality of forecast building blocks
- Generate and fine-tune the all-in statistical forecast for the 0-18 month horizon
- Own the lifecycle maintenance in IBP/SAP for Launch items (base + lift forecasted) that turn into Mature (all-in forecasted)
- Incorporate the impact of seasonal trends into the all-in forecast
- Update the Other Marketing Intelligence key figure with input from Marketing as well as New Product Innovation (NPI)
- Lead calibration of the forecast with CBT demand planners and other partners as required as it rolls into the 0-3 month horizon
- Verify that input from the Pricing Intelligence template is reflected in the pricing intel reference key figure on a monthly basis and adjust S&OP forecast accordingly to account for actualized history
- Adjust S&OP forecast in the 4-18 month horizon based on inputs from Demand Planning Director (post Step 1)
- “Publish” demand forecast to Supply Planning post Step 1
- Partner with IS on system related enhancements to the software and process (DP Optimization) for the entire Demand Planning Team
- Create and maintain standard reporting using BW, IBP, and PowerBI to support S&OP and long-term forecasting engagement
What we have to offer you:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at firstname.lastname@example.org. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.