A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
This position is accountable for the overall Human Resources function at the Guelph facility including employee relations, manpower planning, recruitment of hourly and salaried staff, HR budgeting, employee communications, employee development, benefits administration, training and development, and providing leadership to an HR team as well as the plant management team.
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
• Maintain complete and accurate employee files for hourly associates.
• Ensure adequate hourly staffing levels are maintained by coordinating with production and external temporary labour providers.
• Lead the hourly recruitment process for skilled labour including applicant selection, interviewing, and reference checking and offer preparation.
• Participate in develop of training materials and new hire orientation.
• Support supervisors with facility & corporate training initiatives (SISTEM)
• The coordination of internal job postings, transfers, layoffs, recalls and related administration
• Administer the pension and benefit plans including coordinating with the Corporate Pension and Benefits team on new enrollments, plan changes, plan terminations and employee specific issues.
• Provide support to ensure that payroll can be processed accurately and in a timely manner
• Utilize human capital management systems (i.e. SAP, KRONOS) to maintain employee information as it relates to adding new hires, termination, job changes, and rate adjustments etc. for all hourly employees.
• Provide coaching and training to Supervisors and hourly associates on Human Resources processes and policies.
• Respond to hourly employee inquires and concerns and take steps to resolve issues.
• Investigate reported employee incidents and assist in the delivery of any required disciplinary action.
• Review, updating and implementation of policies and procedures
• Administer hourly employee requests for time off and track vacation entitlement.
• Assist in the organization of company social events.
• Prepare monthly reports and statistics for plant and corporate purposes.
• Other duties as assigned
• Back up the HR Manager when required
What we have to offer you:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
• A well-developed generalist and change management background
• A proven track record of proactively managing employee relations
• Passionate about coaching, mentoring and developing people to achieve positions of greater responsibility
• Initiative, drive, demonstrated leadership and excellent communication skills
• Results orientated, able to work as part of a functional team and must be an exceptional fit with our Maple Leaf Leadership Values
• Excellent planning and organizational skills plus the ability to manage multiple priorities
• Strong problem solving skills
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills
• Ability to make procedural decisions and judgments involving sensitive and confidential issues under stressful conditions
• Knowledgeable in Health & Safety / Food Safety principles
• Proficiency in MS Office
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at firstname.lastname@example.org. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.