HR Coordinator (Payroll)
A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
The Human Resources Coordinator provides general administrative and specific HR support to a busy Human Resources office servicing 2,000 hourly and 150 salaried employees. The person supports the payroll function for the plant in conjunction with corporate payroll services and functions in a timely, accurate and customer service-orientated manner.
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
- Liaise with front-line supervision in all matters pertaining to time and attendance system for hourly workforce
- KRONOS subject matter expert for the site
- Submit payroll timesheets, deductions, and adjustments for hourly employees on a weekly basis, and salaried employees on a biweekly basis
- Front-line service needs assessment for all inquiries to the HR office (benefits, vacations, leaves and other HR processes)
- Investigate, resolve and correct employee pay related complaints
- Liaison between the Brandon Plant and Hourly Payroll at Corporate Office
- Oversee the yearly vacation cycle process to ensure totals are correct for payouts, and correct hours loaded for carried and current year
- Distribute Pension Plan documents to eligible employees
- Manage tracking and calculation of monthly attendance and production bonus payments, referral bonus payments, permanent residency bonus payment, submitting to Corporate Payroll for payment
- Track hours for wage progressions and process wage progressions in MSS.
- Conduct research and generate reports required to support the HR department
- Other duties as assigned
What we have to offer you:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
- Post-Secondary degree or diploma in Human Resources or Business-related field is an asset
- 1 year of HR-related experience, preferably in a unionized manufacturing environment; good knowledge of Manitoba employment legislation and labour relations practices; and working knowledge of HR trends and practices
- CHRP designation or working towards designation is an asset
- Demonstrated knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint)
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, meet deadlines, and be a self-starter
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to perform work with accuracy and attention to detail
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to take the initiative, problem solve and multi-task
- Second language proficiency in Mandarin, Spanish or Ukrainian is an asset but not required
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at email@example.com. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.