The Feed Mill Manager’s primary responsibility is the operation of the feed mill. This job requires hands on management of the facility and its equipment. The Feed Mill Manager is responsible for personnel management, to include managing all aspects of scheduling, training, talent development, and maximizing the success of the team.
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will do:
• Accountable for production & overhead costs, labour utilization, yields, results of operational improvements, HACCP and Six Sigma initiatives
• Ensures adherence to the HACCP and/or Feed Safety requirements including audit targets
• Continuously improve the reduction of operating costs
• Build and maintain an environment of employee teamwork structured toward process improvement and process efficiency. Develop employee talent through skill development and training. Work closely with Sr. Manager, Feed Operations & Distribution and Human Resources to monitor and maintain employee performance and employee engagement
• Develop and fulfil annual overhead budget and direct product cost targets focused on providing MLAF with improving financial performance.
• Maintain the highest standards of facility safety and sanitation for employees, suppliers, customers, vendors and business partners who interact with the facility and the Company. Maintain facility and equipment in good repair.
• Meet or exceed internal customer service level targets through the synchronization of process/activities with all functional area processes, from demand planning through to the delivery to the customer
• Manage the performance of the hourly and salaried team through effective implementation of Human Resources processes and policies and all Leadership Edge initiatives
• Operate the facility and its equipment, manage team leading by example and maintaining positive morale, manage and minimize operating expenses, receive and ship product quickly and efficiently, establish guidelines and monitor cleaning equipment to optimize performance.
• Set and meet all Health & Safety targets Comply with all MLAF policies and procedures and with reporting requirements of all regulatory agencies. Supervision of all safety and loss control measures for the facility with an emphasis on increasing operational safety. Maintain all licenses associated with the operations of the facility.
• Provide strategic plans to MLAF leadership to maintain facility in industry-competitive performance capability through preventive maintenance programs and capital improvement strategies.
• Maintains and applies knowledge through compliance with CFIA, Ministry of Labour, Ministry of Environment, Health & Safety, and other legislative bodies that impact plant performance
• Responsible for adherence to all policies and procedures for Quality Assurance, Feed Safety and customer specifications on a day-to-day basis
• Recognize, support and commit to the facility feed safety and quality assurance promise
What you will bring:
• The successful candidate will be results-oriented, thrive in a fast paced, demanding environment, and have the ability to develop positive working relationships with associates and employees.
• Post-secondary education in one of the following disciplines: food science, business, agriculture or operations management
• Ten (10) years’ (minimum) experience within a feed (preferred), or grain mill/processing/manufacturing environment
• 5-7 years’ experience in a management role
• Change Management experience implementing new processes
• Equivalent combinations of education, experience and training will be considered
• Must possess excellent skills in
o Oral and written communication
o MS computer programs
o Research and analytical
o Organization and time management
o Problem solving and troubleshooting
• Proven decision-making ability using various analytical tools (SAP, variance reports, downtime analysis, SWOT analysis, Six Sigma metrics, etc.)
• Professional, objective, action oriented, team player and leader
• Mechanical aptitude an asset
• Drives action and results by holding themselves and others accountable