Associate Product Developer - Contract
A High Growth, Entrepreneurial Plant-Based Protein Company
Established in 2018, Greenleaf Foods is a leading consumer plant-based protein company committed to shaping the future of plant-based eating.
Our portfolio of plant-based protein brands includes Lightlife Foods and Field Roast Grain Meat Co. Lightlife products inspire clean, nourishing health with a simple ingredient deck and great taste the entire family will enjoy. Lightlife is proud to make the country’s #1 brand of tempeh the #1 plant-based hot dog. Field Roast is known for bringing food enthusiasts together with globally inspired flavors, whole-food ingredients and innovative processes that make its plant-based meats and cheeses. Together, the brands feature more than 50 products and represent a leading market position in the plant-based protein category.
Are you looking for an opportunity to make an impact on a fast-growing company? Greenleaf Foods is headquartered 20 miles outside of Chicago in Elmhurst, IL and is an independent, wholly owned subsidiary of Maple Leaf Foods, Canada’s leading protein company. We have operations in Seattle, WA; Shelbyville, IN; and Turners Falls, MA. Our 500 associates embrace a strong, values-based culture and take pride in doing what’s right for our consumers, customers and communities. Each Greenleaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We thrive in an engaging, open and fast-paced environment. We support one another to grow professionally and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
We are on a journey to hire individuals with great technical and commercial acumen to be part our amazing R&D family who share our passion for food and its impact on our lives and planet. As such, we are seeking an Associate Product Developer to innovate, develop and commercialize great tasting, plant-based protein products. This role will be based out in Mississauga, ON.
The position of Associate Product Developer will appeal to individuals who enjoy the challenge of participating in the creation and execution of new and improved products. The individual will need to be self-motivated, team oriented, enjoy a fast-paced environment, dogged in their pursuit of the end goal and capable of bringing creative approaches to the resolution of the broad array of challenges with which they will be confronted. He or she must also enjoy the 'hands-on' nature of the job that will require involvement in bench, pilot and plant activities. A passion for food science and technology with an ability to use science and technology to problem solve will be important.
A snap shot of some of the exciting things you will do:
- Co-ordinate, plan, design and execute product development through all stages of development; concept to bench-top prototype development, pilot plant and full-scale manufacturing in support of the business initiatives.
- Review and document raw ingredients, formulations and finished product specifications to maintain accurate records and ensure compliance with Company standards.
- Use SAP RD to maintain product formulations and work instructions to support the end-to end product commercialization process.
- Consult and provide direction to internal customers (i.e., Purchasing/ Marketing/ Manufacturing/ Quality Assurance) by communicating information for product improvements and/or cost savings initiatives.
- Conduct assessment of problematic product issues and work as part of a team to resolve the technical problems and execute the development/modification of products
- Consult technical resources (literature, technical papers, academia, suppliers) to further product knowledge and apply the learning to execute projects.
- Prepare and present technical reports/results, both written and oral, to associates, peers and occasionally to management with business and scientific clarity.
What we have to offer you:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
- Minimum BS, in Food Science, Food Engineering or related field.
- Minimum of 1 years of experience in the food industry, Product Development experience preferred
- Experience in plant protein or meat science preferred
- Functionally competent in MS Office programs
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Must have strong people management skills
- Must enjoy and thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Flexibility of schedule – schedule may require various start times due to plant trials and start ups
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at firstname.lastname@example.org. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.