A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
Responsible for the execution and management of Capital Projects, including scope, budget, schedule, contract negotiation and contractor interaction. Will direct, coordinate and exercise functional authority for planning, organization, control, integration and completion of plant engineering projects. The position is also a technical support for the facility and will supervise weekend activity and provide supervisory coverage for maintenance supervisors
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
- Provide engineering support for the operations group.
- Assist senior management in developing and justifying capital expenditure requests.
- Investigate practical, cost-effective and innovative plant improvement solutions.
- Negotiate contracts and engage with equipment vendors, service providers and contractors.
- Support plant information technology, i.e. printers, faxes and personal computers.
- Provide leadership and support of manufacturing Productivity Improvement projects (plant capacity, line efficiency and waste reduction).
- Document and maintain user manuals, plant and equipment drawings, layouts and training materials.
- Lead and supervise maintenance staff and outside contractors, as needed.
- Analyze current and future opportunities for cost savings.
- Ensure compliance with food safety requirements including GMPs, HACCP and maintain all relevant documentation.
- Ensure compliance with safety standards including ESA, TSSA, Ontario Building Code, Occupational Health and Safety Act, etc.
- Support capital appropriation projects by conducting cost benefit analysis and equipment selection and layout support.
- All other duties as assigned.
What we have to offer you:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
- 3 - 5 years Engineering experience including supervising in a fast-paced manufacturing environment (food manufacturing preferred).
- Engineering Degree or Engineering Technologist Diploma (mechanical/industrial/electrical), or equivalent experience.
- Knowledge of meat and food processing would be an asset.
- Excellent work ethic, attendance and organizational skills.
- Must have excellent computer knowledge, proficient in MS Office/AutoCAD, solid to advanced spreadsheet skills combined with strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong oral and written communications.
- Six Sigma training or project participation would be an asset.
- Self-motivated and passionate individual, who has a high sense of urgency, thrives with a wide variety of work and can deliver consistent results on multiple priorities.
- Ability to work effectively as a Team Leader in a maintenance team environment.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills in communication and team dynamics
- Highly organized, able to work independently and able to balance multiple priorities.
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
- Working schedule is Tuesday – Saturday (weekends are critical for project implementation, and also taking measurements and planning while there is no production)
- Able to work overtime and occasionally during off-shift times to coordinate training for night shift personnel.
- Access to a vehicle and have a valid G license. Some travel is required to visit other MLF facilities and fabricators
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at firstname.lastname@example.org. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.