A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
In Procurement, we deliver solutions enabling Maple Leaf’s profitable growth. Our team embraces change to create insight-based value for our stakeholders, customers and suppliers. We are empowered to continuously improve everything we do
As the Sourcing Manager, you will be will be working collaboratively with a variety of stakeholders including product development, sustainability, technology, marketing, operations, food safety, legal, engineering, asset reliability and others across the company to create and implement strategic source plans and identify new value-add initiatives. You will provide procurement leadership, support and expertise in the areas of supplier development and selection, category management, negotiations and contract development for company-wide sourcing initiatives. You will be part of the Maple Leaf Foods (MLF) Procurement team which manages significant spend across major categories, in a fast growing and challenging environment. The team is focused on maximizing value, lowering organizational risk and providing excellent stakeholder support. This is an exciting opportunity to join our dynamic and evolving team as we expand sourcing support to increase company spend under management and deliver a value-driven, results oriented service to our internal and external stakeholders. The Procurement team uses industry leading sourcing processes and mature e-procurement tools to deliver significant value for the company. The successful candidate can expect to work in a dynamic and fast paced environment and have immediate opportunities to lead challenging procurement initiatives.
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
Sourcing and Category Management
Business Support and Commercial Projects
- Collaborates with internal & external stakeholders to develop strategic plans in support of Maple Leaf Foods Supply Chain initiatives.
- Delivers market leading cost savings & continuous improvement contributions to Maple Leaf Foods
- Develops sourcing strategies supporting new product & supplier development and for making improvements to existing sourcing arrangements.
- Leverages market intelligence, trends and external conditions to proactively seize on opportunities. Evaluates and develops alternate source plans to ensure a smooth flow of materials to support production and customer demand.
- Establish commercial agreements using standard processes and tools. Coordinate with legal and business stakeholders to develop and negotiate key contract terms
- Meets with suppliers regularly to discuss performance and proactively manage business developments.
- Manages the contract renewal process for assigned categories including making management and stakeholder recommendations
- Tracks new technology developments for assigned categories and drives alignment between supplier innovation and Maple Leaf needs.
- Identify and initiate process improvements, cost saving opportunities and value add supplier programs
- Participate in cross functional teams to support the commercial and project priorities across the company
- Provide direction to stakeholders on supplier capabilities and costing in support of improvement projects to reduce cost or increase operational efficiencies
What we have to offer you:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
- Post-secondary education, preferably in Business (specialization in Engineering, Supply Chain and/or MBA is an asset)
- 5-10 Years of Purchasing and Supply Management Experience, with practice in sourcing across multiple categories
- Superior Negotiation Skills
- Understanding of end-to-end Supply Chain Management
- Ability to implement change through influence and strong stakeholder management
- Project management, facilitation/training, and change management skills
- Demonstrated expertise in market analysis, contract development and negotiation
- Proven ability to lead, influence and gain followership
- Excellent analytical skills with an ability to perform insightful analysis
- High level of energy and urgency
- Superb interpersonal, communication and presentation skills
- Strong organizational skills with an ability to prioritize multiple projects and tasks
- Proven ability to work effectively with all levels and develop positive working relationships
- Highly consistent demonstration of Maple Leaf Foods Leadership Values
- Strong user of Microsoft Office software (Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
- Experience working in an SAP environment
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at firstname.lastname@example.org. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.