A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
Customer Business Development Manager – USA
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
Continued growth in the USA is essential to Maple Leaf Foods achieving its goals. We are focused on partnering with the right customers to build both branded and private label businesses in the USA and have built a high performing team to support this objective. The Customer Business Development Manager will work with a variety of customers with the primary focus being Costco - one of the most dynamic and progressive retailers in the world and a key partner for Maple Leaf Foods.
Some of the exciting things you will do:
- Identify customer needs and opportunities for Maple Leaf to create shared value for Costco and other US customers
- Sell to Costco Corporate Office and Regions which includes conducting presentations, managing communications and order coordination
- Work with the US sales team to enable sales growth; potentially assist or lead sales with other US Retail customers
- Understand customer’s strategy and Maple Leaf’s capabilities and develop and execute appropriate growth plans
- Be the steward of Maple Leaf customer relationships and build trust with key customer personnel
- Meet aggressive growth objectives for sales in processed meats & frozen foods
- Meet internal objectives for margin, trade spending, promotional execution, and market penetration
- Negotiate and execute pricing agreements with clients in coordination with marketing, revenue, and sales management
- Define business cases for projects and internal proposals as necessary
- Work with customer personnel to ensure successful plans and execution for on-time delivery customer sales projects
- Work with cross functional teams to ensure projects, costing, samples, and documentation are completed on time.
- Work with stakeholders in marketing, finance, product development, and commercial execution to monitor progress and risks regarding our customer projects
Product and Customer Expert
- Strong working knowledge of RTE processed meats, particularly sliced meats for retail
- Leverage understanding of competitor businesses, products, and retail customers
- Act as advocate for US customers and provide informed perspective for org understanding and benefit
- Demonstrate subject matter expertise for markets, meat protein, and sustainability issues
Provide Customer/Category/Business Insights
What we have to offer you:
- Leverage data and insights to reveal and convert sales opportunities into private label and branded business
- Use syndicated industry and customer-specific data in analysis, reporting, and recommendations to grow sales.
- Identify business improvement opportunities (i.e. find gaps, patterns, areas to improve customer performance or margins)
- Develop data-driven stories to improve customers’ businesses via assortment, placement, pricing and promotional tactics.
- Work with marketing and Nielsen/IRI data to provide recommendations for pricing and promotional strategies.
- Help sales and marketing develop and improve tactics to achieve goals aligned to US Retail and key customer priorities.
- Provide rationale and US customer perspective in the development of innovation private label or branded SKUs for US Retail.
- Collect and report competitive observations from each Costco region to understand opportunities and threats
What you will bring:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on the day after your first full month of employment
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Sales incentive program
- Car allowance
- Employee Assistance Program
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
- 10+ years of successful sales experience in perishable food or meat businesses
- 2+ years of successful sales experience with Costco’s Regions and/or Costco Corporate
- University degree or college diploma preferably in a business or Marketing concentration
- Experience managing brokers or leading teams
- Base level technical expertise in sliced and processed meats
- Knowledge of US competitors and key customers in retail space
- Deep understanding of what it takes to grow business within retail grocery and club channels in the USA
- Ability to generate actionable insights from data and translate insights into customer-facing selling stories
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Excellent organization and planning skills with strong attention to detail
- Passion, learning agility, and an entrepreneurial spirit
- Strong project management skills with the ability to multi task in a fast pace environment
- Understanding of P&L statements and the factors that influence profitability in a business
- Personal commitment to help Maple Leaf Foods grow and become the most sustainable protein company on Earth
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at email@example.com. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.