Sr. Product Developer
A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
The position of Sr. Product Developer will appeal to individuals who enjoy the challenge of participating in the creation and execution of new and improved products. The individual will need to be self-motivated, team oriented, enjoy a fast-paced environment, dogged in their pursuit of the end goal and capable of bringing creative approaches to the resolution of the broad array of challenges with which they will be confronted. He or she must also enjoy the 'hands-on' nature of the job that will require involvement in both pilot and plant activities. A passion for food science and technology with an ability to use Science and Technology to problem solving will be important.
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
- Leads project activities through the established Product Development Process
- Ensures that the organization is kept current on ingredient, process or equipment technologies of relevance to the company’s product categories
- Works with other functional areas within the company to ensure the cost and quality competitiveness of the company’s products
- Develops the food and technology expertise of the organization
- Manages the development of documentation and accounting data to support generation of tax credits. As well, participates in the annual audits conducted by Customs and Revenue Canada
- Improves departmental productivity by recommending and implementing business process improvements
- Actively participates with Marketing in developing consumer insights
- Has an active role in bringing product/ingredient/process innovation to the company
- Works closely with the FSQA and Regulatory Affairs to ensure Regulatory, Safety and Nutritional compliance for both Canada and the US
- Works closely with Quality Assurance to develop finished product specifications
- Responsible for developing and writing Standard Operating Procedures for new product introductions, as well as product and process modifications
- Selectively support Sales and Marketing in customer presentations
- Interfaces with the Academic community to ensure that the company can assess and ultimately implement any technologies of business relevance
- Develops excellent working relationships with the supplier communities and ensures that their capabilities are leveraged against the Team Goals and activities
What we have to offer you:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
- B.Sc. or College Diploma in Food Science or a related Science discipline
- Minimum of 5 year’s experience in Product Development, Operations or Quality Control, preferably in red meat or poultry
- Functionally competent in MS Office programs
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Must have strong people management skills
- Must enjoy and thrive in a fast paced environment
- Flexibility of schedule – schedule may require various start times due to plant trials and start ups
- Flexibility to travel to different plants
- Valid driver’s license and a car available
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at email@example.com. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.