A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Six core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do what’s right
- Deliver winning results
- Build collaborative teams
- Get things done in a fact-based, disciplined way
- Learn and grow, inwardly and outwardly
- Dare to be transparent, passionate and humble
Mechanical Engineering Co-op Student (8-month)
Join the Maple Leaf Foods team and be a part of our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth. Our 2,200 employee, 650,000 square foot hog processing facility located in Brandon, Manitoba is presently seeking an Engineering Student to join our team at our state-of-the-art facility. This position will provide an individual with extensive experience in project management and the opportunity to participate in and complete various medium to large sized project simultaneously.
A snap shot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
What you will bring:
- Assist in developing and managing both capital and maintenance project plans;
- Investigate practical, cost-effective and innovative plant improvement solutions;
- Create and update drawings using AutoCAD;
- Provide engineering support for the operations group;
- Research suppliers and obtain quotes;
- Supervise equipment vendors, service providers and contractors;
- Utilize and incorporate Six Sigma and other project management tools, methodology and principles
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
- Currently enrolled in 3rd year or higher in a Mechanical Engineering program at an accredited University;
- Team player with effective leadership, interpersonal and communication skills;
- Strong organizational, analytical and planning abilities combined with practical business sense;
- Strong computer skills (Microsoft Office and Project Management software) and AutoCAD;
- Working knowledge of industry codes and regulations (i.e. Occupational Health and Safety, WHMIS, HACCP);
- Knowledge and experience with Food industry would be an asset;
- Fluency in the English language (reading, writing, and verbal).
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at firstname.lastname@example.org. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.