Maple Leaf is an organization of passionate people who are passionate about food. We currently have an opening for a Raw Material Planner within our Wetaskiwin Hatchery location.
The Raw Material Planner will work closely with the hatchery production team ensuring chick sales requirements are met while being responsible for coordinating all aspects of product flow (eggs coming in and chicks going out). This includes analyzing/forecasting of egg inventory and set planning to meet all production requirements. This role requires office work as well as some work in the plant.
• Analyze raw material and Procurement order sheets to determine inventory levels, meeting sales requirements
• Utilizing data from inventory and placement sheets, build set sheets determining set times and set order and provide them to the egg room staff and egg set crew
• Support Egg Room Lead in planning egg sets based on egg age, egg breed, breeder flock age, incubator limitations, egg flow (volume), empty spaces in incubators, forecasted sets based on sales, time of setting and pick up times
• Working closely with our Breeder Technician to forecast weekly egg supply from each producer
• Balancing domestic and import supply; long term forecasting; ordering & issuing purchase orders for domestic & import supply; tracking transactions; tracking of import eggs/chicks.
• Ensure all required documents are complete and accurate and forecast is updated
• Assist Egg Room Lead with labour scheduling, supplies and production planning
• Support Egg Room Lead to verify all eggs placed for setting are accurately identified and tagged by Incubator number and flock information (SAP batch)
• Perform various SAP data processing tasks related to movement of goods, Issuing domestic, sub-contract, daily process vaccine orders, outside chick purchase PO’s, inventory management, and validate received orders
• Coordinate with drivers, egg pickup locations and times, communicate with Egg Room Lead
• Support the Egg Room Lead, verifying quantities of eggs and chicks received against pickup slips or purchase orders
• Successfully manage incubation throughput of both single and multi stage incubators
• Good understanding of incubation procedures and practices, including temperatures
• Monthly – support Finance lead by providing expected egg import numbers for Vitals forecasting also domestic flow and import mix
• Yearly – support Finance by providing egg volume forecast (domestic & import) for budgeting purposes
• Strong focus on continuous improvement
• Project work and other duties as required
• The job is within a live poultry hatchery and you may be required to work within various areas of the facility. Depending on the area you work in, the environmental conditions may be hot, cold, dirty, dusty, wet or noisy
• Safety is our highest priority, and safety procedures and guidelines must be adhered to at all times
• Highly industrial setting under animal welfare and food safety timelines
• The position requires you to work overtime as needed
Punctuality and attendance are extremely important to the success of the operations in general as well as contributing to an overall positive team environment.
PREFERRED HIRING CRITERIA
The successful candidate will be results-oriented, thrive in a fast paced, demanding environment, and have the ability to develop positive working relationships. Candidates must have:
• High School diploma
• Post-secondary education preferred
• Experience is an asset, but training will be provided
• An ability to multi-task and manage changing priorities
• A strong desire to educate and drive continuous improvement initiatives through the adoption of best practices with interpersonal and influencing skills
• A strong analytical and reporting skill set with ability to provide recommendations
• An ability to work independently; be self-motivated and enthusiastic
• Strong time management and organizational skills
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Strong computer skills, with exemplary knowledge and use of Microsoft Excel. Must be able to use Excel spreadsheets as well as build analytical files required for the role, working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Power Point
• SAP experience would be an asset
The Raw Material Planner achieves the quality and quantity of product expected and needed by MLF to meet demands. Utilizing strong communication skills this role manages information from other departments to forecast and control egg sets, maintain target inventory while providing accurate direction to egg set crew. The Raw Material Planner will ensure accurate and timely data is entered and maintained in SAP.
We offer competitive compensation and a benefits package.
Maple Leaf Foods