HUMAN RESOURCES MANAGER
Considering a Career at Maple Leaf Foods?
Maple Leaf Foods is Canada’s leading consumer-packaged protein company, headquartered in
Toronto, Ontario. We make high-quality, great tasting, nutritious and innovative food products under leading brands including Maple Leaf®, Maple Leaf Prime®, Maple Leaf Natural Selections®, Schneiders®, Schneiders Country Naturals® and Mina™. Our Company employs approximately 11,000 people in its operations across Canada and exports to more than 20 global markets including the U.S. and Asia.
Our people are passionate about the work they do and the products we make. As we move forward, we are determined to leverage their integrity and passion to continue to build a high-performing, values-based company enabled by high-performing, motivated and talented people.
The Human Resources Manager leads and influences the HR activities at our state of the art, world class food manufacturing facility in Hamilton, ON. The incumbent has direct accountability for ensuring that the Human Resources planning and results (Labour Relations, Performance Management, Talent Management, Recruitment, Recognition, Training and Development, Engagement and Communication) are aligned to meet business needs within a unionized environment. This leader should clearly know and understand the value of maximizing employee discretionary performance, through an engaging leadership style. They should clearly understand that sustainable long term results can only be achieved through a team that understands and focuses their energy on the key objectives that drive success, has the skill set needed to execute against the business need, and has a high desire to contribute and win.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Influence key stakeholders to ensure alignment, support and delivery of all people initiatives and programs
• Deliver HR advisory services, direction and support to leaders, management and staff in areas such as employee development, performance management, human rights, employment law, policy interpretation and conflict resolution
• Provides advice and guidance in all Labour Relations matters, including grievance/dispute resolution, interpretation and application of the CBA and all disciplinary matters
• Assists in Bargaining preparation by completing the Pre- bargaining Risk assessment, working with management to develop a set of proposals and is a key member of the bargaining team
• Provide coaching and leadership to the plant Human Resources team
• Facilitate execution of organizational development and change management initiatives, which will drive cultural change
• Primary deliverables include tools and interventions in the areas of performance management, work environment practices, rewards and recognition, retention, leadership development, compensation, employee development and advancement, diversity and employee satisfaction
• Ensure that HR key performance indicators such as attendance, turnover and retention are tracked and monitored
• Develops and drives the execution of an annual HR Plan for the facility which focuses on the delivery of key Plant and Corporate HR initiatives
• Facilitate execution of plant operations and corporate programs such as succession planning, orientation, and performance reviews and personal development objectives planning
• Drives continuous improvement activities related to Human Resources
• Other duties as assigned
Preferred Hiring Criteria
The successful candidate will be results-oriented, thrive in a fast paced, demanding environment, and have the ability to develop positive working relationships with all employees. Candidates must have:
• Post-secondary degree with a concentration in Human Resources, Commerce or Business Administration
• CHRL designation is preferred
• Minimum eight to ten years previous related experience with at least five years’ management experience within a unionized manufacturing environment
• A well-developed HR Professional with a solid Generalist and Change Management background
• A proven track record of proactively managing the Labour/Management relationship
• Passionate about coaching, mentoring and developing people to achieve positions of greater responsibility
• Strong business and operational acumen particularly within manufacturing and/or food processing
• Demonstrated initiative, drive and leadership; excellent communication skills
• Results orientated, able to work as part of a functional team; must be an exceptional fit with our Maple Leaf Leadership Edge Core Values
• Excellent planning and organizational skills, possess the ability to manage multiple priorities
• Strong problem solving skills, communication and interpersonal skills
• Ability to make procedural decisions and judgments involving sensitive and confidential issues under stressful conditions
• Advanced skills with Microsoft Office and HRIS systems including SAP
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at firstname.lastname@example.org. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.